Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the oil pan loose and all the bolts removed, but the exhaust is in the way. IS there a way to replace the rubber gasket with a new one without completely dropping the pan?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
That's Impossible, but maybe some black rtb...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think I can take the pan screws out lower it as much as possible and pull out the old rubber gasket then put the new in.

RTV? I wouldn't think I would need any sealant since the gasket is rubber but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
955 Posts
i was at your point a few years ago. one of the first jobs I tried to tackle after joining the forums. basically, i did not find a way to do it. eventually i had to have the car towed to a muffler shop have the exhaust dropped and the gasket replaced (with the one i bought/supplied).

if you find a way to do this, then post back with how b/c even the more experienced members all agree that dropping the stupid Y-pipe is a must.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, job done. I ended up cutting the cat and welding it later. I got the front flange bolts loose but couldn't get the rears to break free. So one good cut with a sawzall and it was off. Getting to the top of the pipe with the welder was quite a challenge. I'm pretty sure there's a slight bit of an exhaust leak there but it's quiet as it was before the cut as far as I can tell.

During the gasket replacement I really don't think it'd be possible because the gasket needs to go around the crankshaft. But anything's possible I guess. It'd take some real skill though! and some crafty use of bailing wire or some other means to hold the gasket up while fishing it through. For me, getting the Y pipe off was impossible (at least with my tools and on this car). So the sawzall and welder were the best way out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts