Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car has been in the shop the past few days... and in the meantime, instead of driving one of the other 4 cars in the driveway, i've been driving my great-grandmother's car. she's 91 and hasn't driven in almost 7 years.

anyway...

the car is a 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88. it's sky blue with a light blue interior.

power driver-side seat, windows and locks
cassette player
58k miles

was talking it over with the folks... may possibly get the car from her and sell one of the other cars.. either the Honda (since it's got 211k) or mine.. (most likely the honda)

the car rides so smooth, and very comfortable, you'd think it was new.. well at least new 2 me... wouldn't be a bad car for the upcoming back and forth trips i'll be making to school to look at apartments and such

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
awesome...my friend had 2 '88s and they are awesome. Good luck!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just think it's cool that a car that sits up 2-3 years at a time runs so smoothly and has no issues.. i was talkin to my aunt (my g-grandmother's youngest daughter) and she said it was almost 2 years since the last time it was driven. and when i got it last week all i did was jump the battery and it was ready to ride

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
awesome! I just helped a gal start her old cavalier which sat through this horrid north dakota winter...didn't even need a jump start. still drives pretty nice

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boy you can tell a cars age when the interior color matches the exterior. they don't even do that anymore. my cousin has a 1997 Explorer, and it's white with a blue interior.. i wonder why they stopped having interior colors like that.

i dread having to go pick up my car... lol

it's got the 3.8L V6 with 150hp and 200lb. ft. of torque.. it's got plenty of get up and so far i've been averaging about 20 mpg

here's what it looks like..

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
WOW!!! :thumb: Very nice and congrats

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
QUOTE (sths0609 @ May 17 2009, 07:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725924
boy you can tell a cars age when the interior color matches the exterior. they don't even do that anymore. my cousin has a 1997 Explorer, and it's white with a blue interior.. i wonder why they stopped having interior colors like that.

i dread having to go pick up my car... lol

it's got the 3.8L V6 with 150hp and 200lb. ft. of torque.. it's got plenty of get up and so far i've been averaging about 20 mpg

here's what it looks like..[/b]
You have to love the special order interior colors. I had a 1999 Taurus with blue interior and my 1995 T-Bird has blue as well. The Thunderbird had a ton of choices Red, Green, Blue, Gray, Moca and that horrible Rose Mist.. Earlier models included Black. My only complaint is, its really hard and expensive to find nice interior peices. Pretty much everyone knows that the non-standard colors are rare.

Nice vintage Olds. They really don't make them like that anymore. While not the most exciting car on the road, it does have that 1980s-90s charm to it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Be prepaired, those cars go through water pumps at a rapid rate becouse of the belt routing, and expect to have to replace the harmonic balancer soon as the older ones were garbage on the 3.8's (the revised part is larger than the old one). You should be able to get 28-30 mpg on the highway with it, my old Buick beat the Taurus with mpg's, with much more power, but I had the newer 3800 in it. Go gentle with the transmission in the 88, they're almost as bad as Taurus transmissions. My old Buick had 300+k on it when I sold it, orig engine, and 1 transmission rebuild, but the engine was near the end of it's life (low compression).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't like the fact that it doesn't have a temp gauge... just when it gets hot there's a light that says check coolant.. i wish it had a gauge so i'd know how long to let it warm up.. i hate drivin a cold car..

kinda wish they had gotten a 98.. that way it'd have the digital instrument cluster and it would talk!! lol

and jus an update.. when i picked the car up a week and a half ago, it had 58,129

now it has 58,679 lol

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just givin an update.. the Olds. is back at my great grandmother's. I was there at her house checking on her when I came back out to find that the passenger rear tire had exploded.. dry-rotted from sitting up i guess. when i checked the DOTs on the other tires the newest one dated back to 1998. so it's back in the carport with the rear sittin on a cinderblock. it was a pretty cool 5 weeks and 783 miles tho... lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts