Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99se 3.0 duratec 147K overheated and left me stranded a couple weeks ago, 150 miles from home-ran water from station to staition, last stop before the last 50 miles it looked like a volcano erupting from the overflow tank so it cooled down and fill up with water made it all the way without over heating, next day drove it around runs fine except the pressure @ overflow tank(blew cap off cracked top of tank, replaced both). Now I have pressure and exhaust smell in the overflow tank after a minute of idling, so I choose to let it sit, am I safe to assume a head gasket replacement?
Is there a test to make sure its a leaking HG before I tear into it? I might add that prior to this trip to Des Moines the overflow tank seemed to always be empty with no visible signs of leaking. If a head gasket what would be a better gasket?
Thanks
Ron

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
99se 3.0 duratec 147K overheated and left me stranded a couple weeks ago, 150 miles from home-ran water from station to staition, last stop before the last 50 miles it looked like a volcano erupting from the overflow tank so it cooled down and fill up with water made it all the way without over heating, next day drove it around runs fine except the pressure @ overflow tank(blew cap off cracked top of tank, replaced both). Now I have pressure and exhaust smell in the overflow tank after a minute of idling, so I choose to let it sit, am I safe to assume a head gasket replacement?
Is there a test to make sure its a leaking HG before I tear into it? I might add that prior to this trip to Des Moines the overflow tank seemed to always be empty with no visible signs of leaking. If a head gasket what would be a better gasket?
Thanks
Ron
I'm not sure if it applies in your situation, but dorman coolant tanks available in the aftermarket tend to have lots of issues. If you replaced the tank, you might want to check the brand.

You can get a test kit to check for signs of exhaust in your coolant. Another option would be to do a leak down test. Also, you can start the engine cold, do a brake stand and rev it up for half a minute or so (think that's the right way), if you have a pressurized cooling system, that's a good indication that you have a bad head gasket.

I would start by checking the brand of the tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply,
It is a dorman from AA, Im on my second one - probably why they have a year warranty on them if you buy this first one the rest are a given.
Ron

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Thanks for reply,
It is a dorman from AA, Im on my second one - probably why they have a year warranty on them if you buy this first one the rest are a given.
Ron
That's most likely the issue. duratecs aren't known for eating their head gaskets, unlike the vulcan and essex. I think people here recommend buying an OE tank from motorcraft, but if I'm wrong someone can chime in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't replace the tank yet, because you don't want to blow out another one. I think you have a headgasket issue. From autozone you can rent the block tester, which analyzes for combustion gasses in de headspace of the coolant tank. I would start here.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've never used it, but there's a product called Steel Seal, that's not a filler, rather a chemical bonding fluid that's claiming bonding to cracked head, block, gasket hot spot surfaces. Maybe check They're web site for a look. Sound's like you've got other problems that caused this in the first place. Maybe bad water pump, thermostat, rad, or fans/wiring.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Don't replace the tank yet, because you don't want to blow out another one. I think you have a headgasket issue. From autozone you can rent the block tester, which analyzes for combustion gasses in de headspace of the coolant tank. I would start here.
He doesn't have many other symptoms of a bad head gasket, other than tank issues. I assumed his overheating is from having a bad tank in the first place, maybe there's other leaks too, he did indicate that he was filling it up continually.

At this point, I would still recommend replacing the tank with a different brand, then worry about the head gaskets.

No missing? Milky coolant? Milky oil? Sweet exhaust? Sudden temp spikes?

If he blows up another one because a head gasket is bad, just return it for another. He'll have to get it replaced anyway. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
He doesn't have many other symptoms of a bad head gasket, other than tank issues. I assumed his overheating is from having a bad tank in the first place, maybe there's other leaks too, he did indicate that he was filling it up continually.

At this point, I would still recommend replacing the tank with a different brand, then worry about the head gaskets.

No missing? Milky coolant? Milky oil? Sweet exhaust? Sudden temp spikes?

If he blows up another one because a head gasket is bad, just return it for another. He'll have to get it replaced anyway. :)
Yes if you don't mind stealing then that is an option.
If you don't mind getting stranded somewhere without coolant, than this is an option too.

If you want to do a proper diagnoses, just look for combustion gasses with a engine block checker that you can rent for free.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Yes if you don't mind stealing then that is an option.
If you don't mind getting stranded somewhere without coolant, than this is an option too.

If you want to do a proper diagnoses, just look for combustion gasses with a engine block checker that you can rent for free.
Why is it stealing? The product should be able to withstand some excessive pressure, if it doesn't and fails, that's not my problem, or his. It shouldn't blow up because of a bad head gasket, that's a crappy design. Again, that's their problem.

Why would he get stranded without coolant? You seem pretty smart with this stuff, but if the head gasket caused another tank to blow and leak, he probably wouldn't be stranded by running low on coolant, he would be stranded by the bad head gasket. :)

I gave him the relevant information in my first post, you've really added nothing to this thread:

JW657 said:
You can get a test kit to check for signs of exhaust in your coolant. Another option would be to do a leak down test. Also, you can start the engine cold, do a brake stand and rev it up for half a minute or so (think that's the right way), if you have a pressurized cooling system, that's a good indication that you have a bad head gasket.
In your first post:

napoleon1981 said:
I think you have a headgasket issue.
Please, point out each part of the OPs post that makes you think that. I think you're pushing the idea of a head gasket issue too hard. But, time will tell.

Stealing? :lol2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why is it stealing? The product should be able to withstand some excessive pressure, if it doesn't and fails, that's not my problem, or his. It shouldn't blow up because of a bad head gasket, that's a crappy design. Again, that's their problem.

Why would he get stranded without coolant? You seem pretty smart with this stuff, but if the head gasket caused another tank to blow and leak, he probably wouldn't be stranded by running low on coolant, he would be stranded by the bad head gasket. :)

I gave him the relevant information in my first post, you've really added nothing to this thread:

In your first post:

Please, point out each part of the OPs post that makes you think that. I think you're pushing the idea of a head gasket issue too hard. But, time will tell.

Stealing? :lol2:
Read the posts again. The topic started stated the car has overheated (symptom one). The cap blew of and there appears to be excessive pressure in the cooling system (symptom two).

So just do the proper FREEEEEEEE test.

just read what happend to him:
150 miles from home-ran water from station to staition, last stop before the last 50 miles it looked like a volcano erupting from the overflow tank so it cooled down and fill up with water made it all the way without over heating,
And yes returning parts that are destroyed by your own stupidity is stealing in my book.

btw I was not asking your opinion, I was answering the topic starters question:

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Read the posts again. The topic started stated the car has overheated (symptom one). The cap blew of and there appears to be excessive pressure in the cooling system (symptom two).
Appears to be doesn't mean there is. These symptoms can be explained by a bad coolant tank. Try again.

So just do the proper FREEEEEEEE test.
:lol2:

just read what happend to him:
I don't think you got my point.

And yes returning parts that are destroyed by your own stupidity is stealing in my book.
Again, that's not my or the OPs problem, if the part cannot take some excessive pressure, then it should be considered a design flaw, I'm not paying for shoddy designs, they can replace it.

btw I was not asking your opinion, I was answering the topic starters question:
Hahaha, I don't care. I'll give you my opinion all I like, whether you ask for it or not, if you don't like it, you can always choose to leave this forum and all other places that allow open discussion, you don't get to choose who replies to you, it's a forum. ;)

(I just cut the tip of my middle finger off, so bear with my writing skills)
Have a nice day, buddy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK guys here is the situation in a nutshell, within the last year I have put on a new:
Water pump, t-stat, heater core, belt tensioner, all heater hoses, overflow tank(2) and cap did a radiator flush. Now I went for a ride last night to have a friend look it over probably 5 miles round trip got home and coolant all over firewall again, this evening I just took cap off from cold engine and put cap back on tight started car let run for about a minute or two and WOW what pressure in that tank and smelt like exhaust in the tank, this week-end I will try and find a place to rent or borrow a block tester.
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate all suggestions. Its been a while since I touched a head. What can I expect from this 3.0L by way of issues with these heads?
Thanks again

Ron

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
this evening I just took cap off from cold engine and put cap back on tight started car let run for about a minute or two and WOW what pressure in that tank and smelt like exhaust in the tank, this week-end I will try and find a place to rent or borrow a block tester.
I would say head gasket at this point.

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate all suggestions. Its been a while since I touched a head. What can I expect from this 3.0L by way of issues with these heads?
Thanks again
Once you've tested and confirmed, tear down the engine and take the heads into a machine shop for inspection, after you get that done you can prep everything and put it back together with a new gasket kit (head bolts too). You need a few changes worth of oil with filters, antifreeze (if it's contaminated with oil, I would suggest taking it for a flushing after the head gasket repair). You will need a decent tool set, torque wrenches will be needed, etc...

Buy a manual for the car, so you know what you're doing. Don't try it without a book in front of you, or some sort of guide. I think you can get some kind of alldata subscription online for personal use, it might pay to get that for the job. Make sure you're positive before you tear into it.

Good luck!

/I seriously thought it wasn't a head gasket, but at this point, I will admit that it does appear to be the issue. :homer:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey JW657 thanks a million, according to my VIN I believe I have the
3.0L 182cid V6 FI (U) OHV.

Ron

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear you have a HG issue, good thing is that you have a vulcan. Those are not too bad to do. Felpro has an excellent HG kit.

Make sure you have the heads done by a machine shop and cracked checked.

Good luck!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hey JW657 thanks a million, according to my VIN I believe I have the
3.0L 182cid V6 FI (U) OHV.

Ron
Opps, I gave you some info for another engine. You indicated Duratec in your first post. If you said Vulcan in the first place, I would have suggested head gasket right away. You can't overheat a Vulcan without expecting that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Opps, I gave you some info for another engine. You indicated Duratec in your first post. If you said Vulcan in the first place, I would have suggested head gasket right away. You can't overheat a Vulcan without expecting that.
The rebuild link for the ford OHV is also for the vulcan and not for the Duratec;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have a great deal to add but I do want to say thanks for the link , Head Gaskets are bad on the 2000 so that's very handy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts