Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here is the story. i have a 95 taurus 3.0L. i got it for free from my uncle, when he gave it to me it had some problems but at least it got from point a to point b, actually its still having the same problem its just worse now.

the problem its having is this: it starts just fine, idles kinda low but it idles, when i put it in gear to drive (reverse or drive) it putters and sputters until i get to about 15mph (actually now it dies b4 it even starts to roll).

i was originally told it was my EGR so i replaces the EGR and the sensor. still does it.
then i was told my gas pressure regulator was fried so i replaced it.
fortunately both of these were actually fried so replacing them wasn't a bad idea.

now im at a wall, my brother in law said his was doing the same thing and he replaced a sensor that went along with the harmonic balancer or something and his worked just fine.

anyone have any ideas or at least know what the sensor he was talking about is and where it may be (his was a different engine so it was in a different place)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you checked the CEL for fault codes?
Have you checked the fuel pressure?

You could be having trouble with a faulty VSS sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you checked the CEL for fault codes?
Have you checked the fuel pressure?

You could be having trouble with a faulty VSS sensor.
to tell the truth i have no idea what you are talking about but i did have auto zone use their little plug thingy and thats what told me the egr was bad. but how would i check the cel?

the fuel pressure was low which is why i changed the regulator, i know the fuel pump and filter are good, my uncle had just changed them b4 he gave me the car (thankfully since i didnt want to drop the tank to get to the pump)

and what is the vss sensor, whats its purpose and where might it be?

(Sorry im better with computers than i am with cars which is why im here)

EDIT: also one of my friends said he thinks the o2/gas mixture might be to rich, u can smell gas alot when its running

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok an update: i went out and started up my car, i looked in my engine compartment and noticed some sparks coming from the side of the coil (or whatever its called that is connected to the distributor) so tomorrow imma go get a new one and replace it since im pretty sure that isnt normal. ill give an update after the fact.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You checked the CEL (computer error light) when you had Auto Zone read the error codes with the "little plug thingy". On a '95 engine you can read the codes from the CEL (no "plug thingy" required).

The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is used to monitor engine speed and feeds that info to the engine computer. A bad VSS can cause the engine to run erratically.

I hope replacement of the coil fixes your problem ... could it just be a poor electrical connection?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts