Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I own a 2004 SES with about 80,00 miles on it. There is nothing wrong under the hood but, I would love to give my car more "umph" to show people that taurus' can keep up with the pack. I don't plan on doing this right away but would love some input on this as it is something I am certainly looking into doing in the next year or so.

I was wondering if anyone has done substantial engine swaps and/ or what would be a possible engine to drop in or what can be done to make this taurus faster than what it is.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
A place up in Mass called NE SHO can swap in a cam welded 3.4l SHO engine with an MTX (manual) for about $10k.

Probably not in your budget. Some bolt ons on your Duratec can help like:

1. Xcal 3 tune from Paul Nimz (this alone will wake you Tec with firmer shifts, more mpg and hp)
2. Underdrive pulley
3. 80mm MAF from a Gen 3 SHO (optional but must have tune for that)
4. Gen 3 y-pipe with hi flow cats with Gen 3 flex pipe in order to fit the Gen 4
5. NOS like 25-50 shot (I wouldn't consider it unless taking your car to a track)

Those are what I can think of but with 80k on your Duratec i'd check the maintainence first.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
You have the best 3.0L duratec that ford offered in a Taurus. A good tune and some serious exhaust work will very much wake your car up. Build up the trans so that you can get as much power to the ground as you can.

I'd estimate mid 15's, maybe quicker. These cars are a little hefty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts