J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_diesel_dilemma/index.htm

Diesel Dilemma

By Tom Murphy

Ward's Auto World, Feb 1, 2004

Ford Motor Co. is likely to offer a V-6 turbodiesel for the high-volume F-150 pickup and perhaps the Explorer SUV as well, but the launch date remains uncertain and it is unclear what company will produce the engine, sources say.

Ward's reported in May that International Truck and Engine Corp. will produce in 2005 a turbodiesel V-6 derived from the Power Stroke V-8 diesel it currently builds for Ford's heavy-duty pickups.

Industry sources now say it is unlikely Ford will source its light-duty V-6 turbodiesel from International because of warranty problems associated with the Power Stroke V-8.

They also say Cummins Inc., a primary diesel competitor with International, is a leading candidate for the contract, and that Ford likely will choose an assembler within a month.

The partnership between International and Ford dates back more than a decade, as International has built 2 million Power Stroke V-8s for Ford — most of them the original 7.3L version. International has a contract to build the Power Stroke V-8 for Ford until 2012.

But since launching the new 6L version in November 2002, Ford has tallied at least $50 million in warranty claims associated with the new engine, sources say.

Plus, International is angry with Ford for having previously scuttled a plan for the engine supplier to build a V-6 variant of the Power Stroke at International's new plant in Hunstville, AL. International says it built the plant specifically for the V-6 program.

The two companies resolved the issue in mid-2003, with Ford paying International $70 million as compensation for scrapping the V-6 program, according to sources.

Ford and International officials decline to confirm the amount of the payment.

Sources say Ford still wants a V-6 light-duty diesel — but not one built by International.

Officially, Ford and International describe their relationship as strong.

A Cummins spokeswoman confirms the company has developed 6- and 8-cyl. light-duty diesels, partially with U.S. Dept. of Energy funding.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
If and when Ford puts a diesel in a supercrew F150 I am in. If natural gas prices stay where they are at I can afford to lay out the 35-40K they will get for it. It is hell trying to drive a taurus in the oil and gas patch and mining industry, which is where I spend about 70% of my time. I can't justify buying a gasoline engine pickup that will only last 150K or so and I don't want to ride 50 to 60 K a year in a 3/4 ton truck.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by mwt@Apr 24 2004, 08:39 AM
If and when Ford puts a diesel in a supercrew F150 I am in. If natural gas prices stay where they are at I can afford to lay out the 35-40K they will get for it. It is hell trying to drive a taurus in the oil and gas patch and mining industry, which is where I spend about 70% of my time. I can't justify buying a gasoline engine pickup that will only last 150K or so and I don't want to ride 50 to 60 K a year in a 3/4 ton truck.
Dude, you should be able to get 200k+ miles out of a gasoline F-150 easily. Look at how many of them are for sale or still on the road with that mileage and then some. The things last forever!
However, the diesel would be much cooler, plus probably more economical.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Why V-6? Inline-6 is the way to go! And also, I can't speak for the new F-150s, but I do know that back when Ford had a real 300 Inline-6 motor, you could find F-150s with over 300K miles on the stock motor. Hell, those 351W V-8s with the C6 could go 300K miles also. I should know too, my uncle has a Bronco like that.

Even so, there was a lot of talk around Explorer 4X4 about a diesel Explorer. One of the problems we had was that the extra weight of the current diesels would be very hard on the front end, but with common rail, and a 6-cylinder diesel, it would definitely be feasible.

I still want Ford to go with Cummins though. You can get a Cummins in the F-450+, and we all (Or should know) know that the Cummins I-6 in the Ram is the best diesel for strength. It's really hard to beat an Inline-6 design. Why do you think BMW continues to use I-6 in its cars? It's because it works. The Supra Motor was an Inline-6. They are very smooth running engines.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the Cummin's I-6 is way to large and way to heavy for a F-150 or Explorer. The engine needs to be economical in terms of weight too.

I have a 6.0l Powerstroke Diesel in my Excursion, has over 10,000 miles now, and I love it. Plus, we get 20-22MPG in a Excursion, which is better than I'm getting with my V8 Explorer.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Diesel in my area is much more than regular gas. In San Bernardino County, California I have seen diesel as much as 2.52 a gallon. Much higher than the $2.06 for regular unleaded. I'll be sticking with a regular gas vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts