Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody...
Got an irritating one today. Have got this very slight knocking noise (feeling) coming from the right front tire area... mostly (maybe entirely ) when braking and more pronounced when turning right. Its never consistent.
I'm not sure if I hear it more or feel it in the floorboard... but my bro riding with me can't hear anything.
I took it and the other wheel off the other day, thinking maybe a cracked pad or something but the pads look great. Did notice that the sliders that the caliper bolt onto have some slop in them. Top slider on the knock side is looser than the other three... is that possibly it? is there suposed to be any movement in these other than the in and out? I can't remember if they had it last time I did the pads...
I know alot of this sounds vague... but if you have any ideas I can try to explain better.
Hope someone can help before the knock becomes a CLUNK!!!
Brandon

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
There's often a little bit of play, but not too much. How are the rotors? I've seen rotors that get big pits or rust buildup on them that cause a knocking sound and/or feeling in the pedal as well.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What your hearing is probably the strut plate making some noise, when parked try rocking the steering wheel side to side and you just might hear that noise, you might also hear it if you bounce the right side of the car up and down. This is a common problem with these cars. I tried to get my extended warranty to cover it but they won't becouse the part didn't acually fail. I'm just putting up with mine til I have to replace the crappy factory struts, it dosen't bother me much anyway. Another thing to check is the plastic swaybar endlink for the noise, replacing those with metal ones will fix that problem. There's another thread on that. Have you checked the caliper bolt for torque? If it's loose take it off and put a little dab of Locktight on it before tightning it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts