Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a possibility of rear suspension of my sedan is a wagon based set up? My rear coil springs are not mounted on a strut/shock assembly but inside on suspension. All parts I looked up on line say wagon. I only have what appears to be shocks in rear. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Well, I mean, all the mounting bosses are there to accomodate the wagon rear suspension hardware, but I mean, why? :dunno:

Can you get some pictures to go with?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Looking forward to seeing these frankentaurus pictures as well. :noes:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Supposedly the wagon suspension makes the car handle better than the sedan's suspension. I read somewhere, could be speculation, but the SHO was suppose to get the wagon's rear suspension.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'll never say it isn't possible.
Ford is WELL KNOWN for just throwing what ever they have left at the end of the day or run on a car and calling it done. Then updating the engineering parts numbers at the dealership parts counter after inspection at the factory.

GM does it too though, hell they all do.
my pop had a 1967 ( SIXTY SEVEN ! ) GTO 389 tri power hurst equipped 4 spd. See anything wrong with that description yet ? Well the 389 was phased out in 66 and replaced by the 400. Yet some remaining 389s were sent out in a few GTO's that year towards the end of the run on what ever day they were building. It was all matching numbers, and registered.
Made it even more valuable though.
But he hit a deer with it going 120 mph out by the lake and that was the end of the goat :(
( Better then the end of the old man though ! )

·
Registered
388 Posts
No.
Probably not at all.

I was being half serious like " They do some dumb crap at the factory some times so I'll never say NEVER " You know what I mean ?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
so gen3 wagon rear suspension will bolt in to my gen3 sedan with no mods?
[/b]
I don't know if there will be no mods, but if Hamal said that all the mounting bosses are there, you probably could do it. I've never noticed any mount points for shocks, springs, etc, but do some research underneath a sedan and wagon and see if it'll work.

JR

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Pics or it didnt happen.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,234 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
I got both and I can tell you there's no way in hell.
[/b]
Owned both, I didn't think so either... at least not on the Gen 3+. Might be different on the Gen 1-2.
[/b][/quote]
I mic'd the rear swaybars on an '87 wagon at 18mm ( the newer model years dropped in thickness) and bolted it right up to a '99 wagon that was factory deleted. The 1/2nd gen to 3rd gen wagon changes are simply updated lighter steel stampings and beefier lower swaybar mount brackets. The only similarities between the wagon IRS and the sedan IRS is the trailing arm design.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts