Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Originally posted by mikehawk@Apr 7 2004, 06:35 PM
How long of a turn around are we looking at with the duratec big bore LIM? If I ship now, will I have to pay now, or when you're ready to ship it back? I'd really like to get going on this project, and if I can work for some cash while it's being made instead of saving up before shipping, that would be really cool.
Actually, I have Dman's old LIM at the shop. I need to clean it up, disassemble it, and get the parts to the machine shop. I plan on doing this two ways: I can either ship the one I have, with a core charge, then people send theirs back and get a refund on the core, or people can buy one and send it to me to work on. Basically, I want to end up always having an upper/lower setup to work with. Makes things much easier.

mikehawk, I'm working on getting that lower cleaned up and disassembled. I should be able to get it to the machine shop next week some time, and get an actual price together. Hold off on shipping yours until I get this all done.

I have an upper too, did you want that ported and polished?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Mar 23 2004, 08:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if a gen4 upper plenum will bolt on to gen3 lower plenum(with big bores) and a gen3 TB?

I don't have one to experiment with because the local junkyard doesn't seem to have any new tauruses.

It seems the plastic UIM would have a couple advatages over a p&p'ed aluminum UIM(no offense). It's lighter, heat resistant, and really smooth all the way through, not just around the openings.
I was thinking about this too, but I believe the Duratecs with plastic intakes do not have secondaries. I'm not certain if the plastic and aluminum UIM are interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Apr 8 2004, 05:13 AM
A friend of mine told me that the plastic UIM will bolt up to the aluminum LIM, so I going to give that a try. But, if I can't get it to seal, then I'm probably going to give you the "go ahead" on the UIM and send up my extra UIM shortly after. I am a little curious as to how I'm going to make long ovals bolt up to pairs of small cirlces.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Stupid question.. what will be the advantage of boring out the secondaries if the head after the LIM is the same size as the LIM?
The only advantage I could see is the loss of area that the butterflies takeup when being opened up and thus having a larger hole might allow more air to go into the LIM, but the bottleneck is still going to be at the head. I believe I measured it and its right around 34mm-35mm. This measurement is for both LIM and the head. So if we are boring say out to 37mm what will be the advantage of this?
Personally I think there would be more gains in porting out the UIM which IMHO limited more in opening size.
If I remember correctly, the duratec UIM holes/runners were at 30mm and 32mm
and the LIM were at 33mm and 35mm.
I can get pics of the head and measurements to see what it is. But I think it was exactly the same as the LIM.
comments?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Originally posted by mikehawk+Apr 8 2004, 07:44 AM-->QUOTE (mikehawk @ Apr 8 2004, 07:44 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Bob Gervais
@Apr 8 2004, 05:13 AM
A friend of mine told me that the plastic UIM will bolt up to the aluminum LIM, so I going to give that a try. But, if I can't get it to seal, then I'm probably going to give you the "go ahead" on the UIM and send up my extra UIM shortly after. I am a little curious as to how I'm going to make long ovals bolt up to pairs of small cirlces. [/b]
Actually, the stock aluminum upper is only one runner, with two holes at the ends only. The holes are separated by a small wall, but after that, it's all one runner. So in theory, the oval plastic is the same as the stock aluminum one. When I port the aluminum uppers, I plan on cutting that wall out, making them oval port also. Much easier to polish that way.

I would think that if the plastic upper bolts up, that would definitely be the way to go. Less heatsoak, and the insides are already nice and smooth.

theman21--

The stock primaries and secondaries in the LIM are 33mm. The big bore mod increases them to 35mm (or whatever a customer specifies). The intake runners in the heads are around 35-36mm. There's also room for improvement there as well. The stock heads are pretty rough, much like the upper intake.

Personally, and I've discussed this with a few people in the past, I think the best solution for HP gains would come from an upper intake that had separate runners for the primaries and secondaries. Primaries would be long smaller tubes for low end tq, secondaries would be shorter fat tubes for top end HP. Given the time, I could work on this. Some other advantages would be that I could weld fittings in for future use for nitrous, water injection, etc. There's options for coating too, to cut down the heatsoak associated with a fabricated upper intake. I could have them Jet-Hot coated, which would probably cost around $150 or so, but deflects heat in a major way. Ideas? Comments?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by theman21@Apr 8 2004, 12:13 PM
Stupid question.. what will be the advantage of boring out the secondaries if the head after the LIM is the same size as the LIM?
The only advantage I could see is the loss of area that the butterflies takeup when being opened up and thus having a larger hole might allow more air to go into the LIM, but the bottleneck is still going to be at the head. I believe I measured it and its right around 34mm-35mm. This measurement is for both LIM and the head. So if we are boring say out to 37mm what will be the advantage of this?
Personally I think there would be more gains in porting out the UIM which IMHO limited more in opening size.
If I remember correctly, the duratec UIM holes/runners were at 30mm and 32mm
and the LIM were at 33mm and 35mm.
I can get pics of the head and measurements to see what it is. But I think it was exactly the same as the LIM.
comments?
I'd love to have the heads p&p'ed but pulling the heads on a DOHC engine is beyond my abilities. I don't want to screw with the cam gears and timing chains or anything.

I know the SHO is a completely different 3.0 v6, but the shoshop offers a 3 or 4mm overbore on the SHO secondaries and they claim a 10hp gain. From what I've heard, it's a lot harder to get any HP gains from that motor because it's tuned so well. So hopefully the duratecs will see at least 10HP, maybe more.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais+Apr 8 2004, 02:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bob Gervais @ Apr 8 2004, 02:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2004, 07:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Bob Gervais
@Apr 8 2004, 05:13 AM

A friend of mine told me that the plastic UIM will bolt up to the aluminum LIM, so I going to give that a try. But, if I can't get it to seal, then I'm probably going to give you the "go ahead" on the UIM and send up my extra UIM shortly after. I am a little curious as to how I'm going to make long ovals bolt up to pairs of small cirlces.
Actually, the stock aluminum upper is only one runner, with two holes at the ends only. The holes are separated by a small wall, but after that, it's all one runner. So in theory, the oval plastic is the same as the stock aluminum one. When I port the aluminum uppers, I plan on cutting that wall out, making them oval port also. Much easier to polish that way.

I would think that if the plastic upper bolts up, that would definitely be the way to go. Less heatsoak, and the insides are already nice and smooth. :thumb:

theman21--

The stock primaries and secondaries in the LIM are 33mm. The big bore mod increases them to 35mm (or whatever a customer specifies). The intake runners in the heads are around 35-36mm. There's also room for improvement there as well. The stock heads are pretty rough, much like the upper intake.

Personally, and I've discussed this with a few people in the past, I think the best solution for HP gains would come from an upper intake that had separate runners for the primaries and secondaries. Primaries would be long smaller tubes for low end tq, secondaries would be shorter fat tubes for top end HP. Given the time, I could work on this. Some other advantages would be that I could weld fittings in for future use for nitrous, water injection, etc. There's options for coating too, to cut down the heatsoak associated with a fabricated upper intake. I could have them Jet-Hot coated, which would probably cost around $150 or so, but deflects heat in a major way. Ideas? Comments? [/b][/quote]
sounds like a gen2 (and 1?) sho intake to me :) still, awesome idea, and makes the most sense to me, though that's not saying much :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
That was the plan, to make an upper intake for a Duratec that was similar to the SHO V6 engines. Unfortunately, time and interest sort of dwindled away. It's getting a little tough working 50 hours a week, raising 4 kids, keeping the wife happy, creating new products, and keeping up with current orders all at the same time.

Sometimes, we bite off more than we can chew. I'm definitely a biter, and I think out loud sometimes. :( It's a great idea, but it takes a lot of time to fabricate it properly.

Bill, there have been no dyno runs on the one big bore lower intake in existence. The machinist I've chosen to do the job is working on more sets, however it's in his off time to keep costs down, so I need to be patient. I had him quote it as a regular shop job, on shop time, and we were looking at around $400. I don't think I'd ever sell one unit at that price!

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Oct 28 2004, 03:39 PM
That was the plan, to make an upper intake for a Duratec that was similar to the SHO V6 engines. Unfortunately, time and interest sort of dwindled away. It's getting a little tough working 50 hours a week, raising 4 kids, keeping the wife happy, creating new products, and keeping up with current orders all at the same time.

Sometimes, we bite off more than we can chew. I'm definitely a biter, and I think out loud sometimes. :( It's a great idea, but it takes a lot of time to fabricate it properly.

Bill, there have been no dyno runs on the one big bore lower intake in existence. The machinist I've chosen to do the job is working on more sets, however it's in his off time to keep costs down, so I need to be patient. I had him quote it as a regular shop job, on shop time, and we were looking at around $400. I don't think I'd ever sell one unit at that price!
OK, maybe by spring I'll be ready to take on the intake project. I get the Sable back from the body shop tomorrow, then it's off to the exhaust place. Following that I will need to comfort my ravaged and scared wallet.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts