Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, since Doc will not be around for a while, I've decided to add Porting and Polishing to the services I offer.

This can be done in a few ways, depending on your needs and time available.

-If you can live without your car for a week or so, you can send me your present parts for porting/polishing.

-You can purchase spare parts and send them to me for porting and polishing.

-I can find spare parts for you, port and polish them, and send them out. In this case, I'd charge a core fee, until I get your cores back.

Comments, questions?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Yeah.... How do you port and polish a Gen 4 duratec intake

-Dan

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by dant98@Feb 19 2004, 07:43 AM
Yeah.... How do you port and polish a Gen 4 duratec intake

-Dan
Very carefully.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Bob,

Would P&P produce any noticable gains? How much would it cost to do the upper intake on a vulcan and/or my TB?

Thanks,

Parker

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Or maybe I should hold out for the "other project" we discussed earlier?

What about P&P to the heads? Or is that out of your league? (not that I'm ready to rip the heads off my engine)

-Dan

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by dant98@Feb 19 2004, 08:36 AM
Or maybe I should hold out for the "other project" we discussed earlier?

What about P&P to the heads? Or is that out of your league? (not that I'm ready to rip the heads off my engine)

-Dan
As far as Duratec heads, I'll have a set soon, Brad (the spy guy) and some of us other folk will soon be working on a porject on his car. He's bringing down a spare set of bare Tec heads. I can take a look then and comment on what could be done.

I was kidding about the Gen 4 manifolds too. The plastic manifolds, even if they were polishable, don't need it.

As far as the "other project", I'm researching it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by golovko@Feb 19 2004, 08:30 AM
Bob,

Would P&P produce any noticable gains?  How much would it cost to do the upper intake on a vulcan and/or my TB?

Thanks,

Parker
Noticable gains would come in the form of improved throttle response. Think of it this way, a lot of minor mods add up. Porting and polishing the upper intake is one of those minor mods that may not show an increase on a dyno, but will improve throttle response on the car. Basically anything you do to smooth the airflow is going to be a noticable modification. It also sets a good foundation for other mods, such as cold air intakes, nitrous, forced induction, etc.

Here's some pricing on Vulcan stuff:

Upper intake: Thorough cleaning of manifold, gasket match, port and polish, smooth casting lines on the exterior, paint color of your choice: $100

Lower intake: Thorough cleaning of manifold, gasket match, port and polish, smooth casting lines on exterior, paint color of your choice: $100

Heads are a different story. Depending on your needs and how much you want to invest, there's a few options:

Basic head work: Disassemble heads, clean thoroughly, gasket match exhaust ports, remove casting flash and polish exhaust ports, paint with black high temp paint, reassemble heads (lap in valves, etc): $150 for the pair.

Advanced head work: All above services, plus blending and polishing of bowls, deshrouding valve guides: $250 for the pair.

These prices are for labor only. If you need a manifold(s) or heads, that cost would be added in. I can either get the manifolds for you, or you can get them and ship them to me. Shipping would also be an additional charge, based on where you live, and how fast you need them back.

I'll be willing to do package deals also:

Upper and lower intake: $175
Upper and lower intake, basic head work: $300
Upper and lower intake, advanced head work: $400

The Duratec should be similar on pricing. I'll know more about the heads on those when I see the bare castings that Brad is bringing down.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Feb 19 2004, 09:01 AM
hmmm...other project....what is it?

also: what ever happened to the BBB's for the duratecs?

Brad
Custom tubular intakes for the Tec and the Vulcan. My plans, which are still in the design phase, are to make mandrel bent tubular intakes for these cars. I am trying to incorporate many things, such as equal length separated runners for the Tec, larger mounting flanges for the throttle bodies (possibly a universal flange that would accept different TB's), ports for nitrous and water injection,etc.

The big bore butterflies are done, and Kirk has them. We just need to setup a time for Dylan to come down and have them installed, and test them out. Perhaps if Dylan comes with you Brad, we can do it then.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I didn't know they were done. Besides, with all the SUPER crappy weather we've been haveing, I probably wouldn't have been able to make anyways. I'll call Kirk and see about a time to come down.

This week coming up look allright, weather wise.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Those sound like pretty good prices, Bob, how soon are you planning on starting? I'd be willing to ship up a lower intake maniofold for p&p and big bore butterflies, but I may not have cash till May or June.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I nieve question here... what differenciates the UIM from the LIM? I know the UIM is what you see on top of the engine... plastic on my car... But would the LIM be plastic too? If I were to be interested in this, am I just talking about head work and if so would the price of the UIM/LIM P&P be deducted from the price?

-Dan

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by D Man@Feb 19 2004, 10:43 AM
I didn't know they were done. Besides, with all the SUPER crappy weather we've been haveing, I probably wouldn't have been able to make anyways. I'll call Kirk and see about a time to come down.

This week coming up look allright, weather wise.
Dylan give me a call when you get a chance. I have all your stuff at the shop.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bob - thanks for the props for the help in brainstorming this! <_<

Need some help

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by mikehawk@Feb 19 2004, 02:09 PM
Those sound like pretty good prices, Bob, how soon are you planning on starting? I'd be willing to ship up a lower intake maniofold for p&p and big bore butterflies, but I may not have cash till May or June.
First we want to make sure the big bores are worth it. Once we install them on Dylan's car and beat the crap out of it for a while, we'll get it on the dyno and get some numbers.

If you have a spare upper manifold you wanted to send up for porting though, I can do it now.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by dant98@Feb 19 2004, 03:25 PM
I nieve question here... what differenciates the UIM from the LIM? I know the UIM is what you see on top of the engine... plastic on my car... But would the LIM be plastic too? If I were to be interested in this, am I just talking about head work and if so would the price of the UIM/LIM P&P be deducted from the price?

-Dan
I believe the LIM is aluminum, but I'll check to make sure. If it is, then I can still do a package on those, once I see the Tec heads and figure what needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
bob-why would you do equal length runners? I would be interested in a contour/cougar looking manifold with dual length runners. Either way, i volunteer to be the test/prototype vehicle.

PS. is there any place to dyno my car by you bob, i wanted to dyno before and after "phase 1" of project: Baby SHO.

Also...would you be remove the valves to do the porting work? or is there no need to.

Dylan was worried about our meet conflicting with another meet.....im not sure which one, but if it does not conflict, he said he would prob come down with me.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Feb 19 2004, 10:22 PM
bob-why would you do equal length runners? I would be interested in a contour/cougar looking manifold with dual length runners. Either way, i volunteer to be the test/prototype vehicle.

PS. is there any place to dyno my car by you bob, i wanted to dyno before and after "phase 1" of project: Baby SHO.

Also...would you be remove the valves to do the porting work? or is there no need to.

Dylan was worried about our meet conflicting with another meet.....im not sure which one, but if it does not conflict, he said he would prob come down with me.
Yeah, I didn't explain the runners too well. I meant equal length primaries, which would be longer, and equal length secondaries which would be shorter.

For the head porting, I'd need to clean them up so the valves would be removed. Safer that way.

Hopefully Dylan will get off his butt and come down, I really want to get those BBB's on there!

As far as dyno's, there's one on your way down in Worcester MA. New England Dyno Is the name, give them a call, tell them you know Kirk and would like to schedule some dyno time for that Friday if he can do it. We can worry about the after once the car's running and all that.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
anything for us sho owners??

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Tman@Feb 19 2004, 10:43 PM
anything for us sho owners??
I'm looking into that as well, I'll have my intake off soon, and will able to give a more accurate price based on what I see.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts