Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I got my hands on a junkyard intake that I'd like to clean up and gasket match. Of course, the intake plenum and runners are all one cast piece, so access is difficult. I noticed on the front of the manifold there's a freeze-plug-like cap that would grant a lot more access. Just wondering, what is this plug called, and if I ruin it while I take it out, can it be replaced?

Also, have any of you ported this manifold before? I've heard of it being done, but nothing more specific with regards to technique.

Anyway, here's what I'm talking about...

Apologies for the image scaling (or lack thereof)

·
Super Moderator
7,802 Posts
Porting the intake without porting the heads and improving exhaust flow thru the crappy restrictive exhaust manifolds (i.e., headers, which you would likely have to fab up yourself) and going to a low restriction exhaust system will to do absolutely nothing for performance or fuel economy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Porting the intake without porting the heads and improving exhaust flow thru the crappy restrictive exhaust manifolds (i.e., headers, which you would likely have to fab up yourself) and going to a low restriction exhaust system will to do absolutely nothing for performance or fuel economy.
Appreciate the advice, Jeff. I certainly don't intend to install this soon-to-be high-performance manifold and call it a day. It's just the cheapest and easiest part of my dino-powered air pump to pull from a junkyard hulk and play dentist.

That being said, before this goes on I'll be make sure the bottle neck isn't moved down to the lower intake manifold or heads. And, of course, that saxophone has got to go.

I understand a restrictive exhaust will increase parasitic losses on the exhaust stroke, but what's to say my stock exhaust would negate the benefit of any intake modifications?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I went ahead and got started gasket matching. This picture was taken a couple of days ago. As you can see, the upper and lower intake runners weren't perfectly aligned (or I really screwed up). At the bottom you can see the runner as cast and machined from the factory, over which I have traced my gasket. Above, a runner I've gotten started hogging-out with a cheap rotary tool and grinding stone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the finished product. Not going to win any awards for craftsmanship, but I think if any gains were to be had through this modification, this will realize them. Now to abate the issue of the little carbon chunks that seems to fall out no matter how many times it's scrubbed, soaked, or yelled at...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whaddaya know? Turns out I can alter the size of these images so as to be less obnoxious. Anyways, I decided to document the installation of my "new" manifold for posterity.

First picture here is the original upper intake manifold... It's so clean it feels criminal that I'm swapping it out. I guess if I like the results of this mod I can always port it as well and reverse the operation...

Interesting... The lower manifold is already perfectly gasket matched. Not surprising, I guess, considering the runners are bored rather than cast. It does make me wonder why the upper manifold's runners are so much smaller as cast.

Here's the original upper manifold. While the coating of carbon slightly exaggerates the transition between manifolds, it only does so by a couple of millimeters.

Cleaning up the gasket mating surfaces, I noticed a couple of my primary runners were looking really clean compared to the others. This photo doesn't do it justice, but rest assured, while the others had a healthy coating of carbon, this looked like a freshly machined piece had been soaked in crank case oil. In fact, I'm suspecting that since I started running synthetic, this cylinder may have been sucking more than its fair share of oil from the PCV inlet.

This is the finished product. Looks like garbage in comparison, but we'll see what some elbow grease can do about that...

I don't expect this mod to have any benefit before a saxaphonectomy. And as far as empirical data goes... Well, a before-and-after dyno would run me about $140. So that's not happening :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts