Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 114k. Went to the grocery store and whenever I turned regardless of speed there would be a loud pop, which I would feel as well. It does not pop the whole time I turn. Sometimes it would pop when I would slow down, or go over a bump. It sometimes feels like its coming from just by the drivers side foot, and other it feels like it is from the rear. It just happened today so I'm not sure why. I do know that when I put any weight in the rear of my wagon, it really sinks down. Could it be a strut problem? If its another problem does anyone have links to fix it? One side note is within the last 500 miles that I have driven it, the only thing that is different today is that is it raining, hard. Finally, how big of a problem could it potentially be worst case? Thank you!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Springs

1999 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 114k. Went to the grocery store and whenever I turned regardless of speed there would be a loud pop, which I would feel as well. It does not pop the whole time I turn. Sometimes it would pop when I would slow down, or go over a bump. It sometimes feels like its coming from just by the drivers side foot, and other it feels like it is from the rear. It just happened today so I'm not sure why. I do know that when I put any weight in the rear of my wagon, it really sinks down. Could it be a strut problem? If its another problem does anyone have links to fix it? One side note is within the last 500 miles that I have driven it, the only thing that is different today is that is it raining, hard. Finally, how big of a problem could it potentially be worst case? Thank you!
I would check the front springs. First break is bottom coil outboard side of the coil. You can reach in over the tire and feel the spring, bottom coil for a break. Been there done that, more than one time.

-chart-

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey Chart, thanks for your help, here are some more things that I have found

After replicating the noise a couple times, here are the conditions in which the pops occur.

Driving 25mpg, usually accelerating, and turning, left or right. Pop feels closer to the rear wheel. If I am turning without body lean I have no pop, If I turn with body lean I can feel the pop. Also, After jumping up and down in the back, I heard nor felt any pop. If its the front springs, the previous owner gave me a huge folder including a letter from ford extending the warranty on my springs to 150k miles. I suppose in a weird way I would be happy if it was the front springs. If its mostly from the rear, could it be a bad rear strut? Would it be a pop? I apologize because the only popping noise I have dealt with was a hyundai sonata, and it was the cv-joint.

One final note is that the popping does sometimes occur right by my foot.

If it is not popping every time I turn, it isn't the cv-joint right? Could it be a strut bearing? (I don't know what or where this is, just something that I came across during my research.)

Also, I checked the front springs, and everything feels intact. Should I be checking for anything else that would mean that it was broken?
20k miles ago ball joints were replaced per a service record from previous owner. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts