Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 ford taurus SEL

Only while driving i have a popping sound in the rear wheel going over bumps, sounds like the wheels is loose but its not. What could it be?

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Rear stabilizer bar link broken??

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Clunk

I second a bad sway bar end link.
Yes but there may be more. The rubber bushings that support the sway bar can also do that. I replaced them on my '96 Lincoln and they were bad. They had plastic bushings inside the rubber and the plastic was completely gone. The design is the similar for the Lincoln, except for the end link which is a ball socket on the Lin. The noise was real bad in a short time. The end link bars are quite simple, and the sway bar support bushings are also fairly easy.

Rockauto has the rear link for $2.17 on closeout.

I would also jack up each wheel and take it by the front and back and shake it for any play. These are cartridge preloaded hubs and should have no play. NONE. And of course there is a good reason to not test it top to bottom while on a jack. B)

-chart-

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree with all stated but to be clear, when you jack up the rear of the car don't do one wheel at a time. You want both rear wheels off the ground, other wise you will be loading the sway bar links and it will be hard to test and remove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts