Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my handling overall seems good and tight, but when I corner, I get a popping noise that seems to come from the front end. I cannot see anything obviously loose, I have no apparent alignment issues. I'm sure some of you must have had similar issues at one time or another, what causes this. I'm sure its a bushing or something, its just not that obvious on initial inspection.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok, my handling overall seems good and tight, but when I corner, I get a popping noise that seems to come from the front end. I cannot see anything obviously loose, I have no apparent alignment issues. I'm sure some of you must have had similar issues at one time or another, what causes this. I'm sure its a bushing or something, its just not that obvious on initial inspection.
dude, i bet its your half shafts, i had the same problem and i didn't pay attention to it and then BAM my car would wouldn't move one day. So i would get that checked out before they both go out.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'd be willing to bet its your CV or Constant velocity joints. If you could take a video it would greatly assist those of us trying to help you.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, perhaps I should clarify the popping sound. Its just a single pop or clunk when I first turn, not a constant clicking or anything. It doesn't matter which way I turn, just when I first turn either direction it makes a pop.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Check the condition of the end links on your front sway bar?

·
Registered
214 Posts
... wow, no one has said ball joints yet? I would DEFINITELY check ball joints before you go and replace CV (but check CV's at the same time).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah, perhaps I should clarify the popping sound. Its just a single pop or clunk when I first turn, not a constant clicking or anything. It doesn't matter which way I turn, just when I first turn either direction it makes a pop.

I have the EXACT same issue! Got an 04 Taurus that does it. It only happens when im driving and go around a sharp bend and have to kinda jerk the steering wheel not like the normal smooth trans into a corner. I live on base in England and the roads are narrow so theres alot of corners like that and going 30mph around these corners cant help it. I have always wondered what the problem was myself

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Front sway bar links. They are the #1 first thing to wear out in these front ends.
My '96 sedan and my '00 wagon ate them until I learned to replace them only with greasable brand name links only.
The are hard to check on the car as the sway bar constantly loads them but a little prying and your see the play in them.
BTW the plastic ones dry out and get noisy first before the excessive play kicks in.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
After the clarification.. I wanna say ball joint.. never seen a swaybar link go out on a taurus....just on Jeeps. but you might be right...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sway bar links makes sense. Ball joints does not, worn ball joints cause camber problems and would make noise when I go over bumps, which it doesn't do. I'll check the sway bar links.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sway bar links makes sense. Ball joints does not, worn ball joints cause camber problems and would make noise when I go over bumps, which it doesn't do. I'll check the sway bar links.

right a sway bar link sounds more causable. My camber is not off at all and the tire wear is even so that goes to show it would be something other than ball joints

·
Registered
214 Posts
... you guys .. it could be either or. When a car goes over a bump or in a turn, the strut moves, THEREFOR, the control arm, which means the ball joint moves, AND that means the end links move as well.

Since they all move, that entitles any of these to be the problem.

From experience on 3 different cars though, when in a turn, it has always been the ball joint for me. But either of them are easy checks. Just make sure the boot isn't damaged on the ball joint and make sure the endlinks are still attached and the boots are not broken on them either. Simple.

Just FYI though: ball joints move around in all directions more, while a sway bar end link really only moves up and down, and thus not even causing much movement of the ball joint inside the end link either. This is why a ball joint is more probably than an endlink. And when you think about it.. how many times have you heard someone needing to change ball joints and then how many times have you heard someone needing to change out a bad endlink? I'm going with ball joints.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Some odd comments here... ball joints on taurus don't usually make noise when they're bad... sway bar links make the noise....

I'm not sure how turning the wheel can make a pop noise with ball joints or links.

I was thinking cv joints, but usually they'd make more than one pop or click while driving/turning.

Jack it up (the front end) and check the suspension and steering like normal, but if you feel play at 3 and 9 get under the car while someone shakes the wheel and see if the entire rack is moving. Sounds like a loose p/s rack or bushing.

Check the motor mounts and subframe bushings too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The "pop" noise comes from metal and metal friction, which means no grease in the ball joint.

When you turn the wheel, the hub moves, there for the ball joint moves, and also the sway bar end link moves too.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have had bad ball joints before. One all the other vehicles that have had ball joint problems, the worn ball joints did not make noise, but were discovered because of alignment problems which caused wear on the inside edge of the tires. I have no abnormal tire wear. From looking at the swaybar links, they might be the problem, looks like the rubber is badly dry rotted.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dude, are you serious? Now your just being irritatingly stupid.

That does not mean ANYTHING other than something needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I vote cv joint.

Easy to check... jack up the wheel in question, grab the tire at 6 and 12 oclock and try to pivot back and forth. Also grab a pry bar, anything long and strong, put it under the tire and try to pick up the tire with it. If you feel anything, then ball joint it is.

Links are easy enough to check... grab a hold of em and try to rip em from the vehicle... any metal / clunk sound.. tada..

If none of the above, replace the cv joint and move on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you are going around a curve the sway bar links are loaded up and should be quiet. Mine rattled for a time until I notice that the rattling stoped when going around a curve. That made me think the sway bar links were the problem, they were. It's hard finding those pops and rattles because things are only free to raddle or pop under certain conditions. If it's a single pop, I would look for a loose bolt like the ones attaching the sway bar links to the bracket on the strut. My sway bar links starting rattling at about 40,000.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I vote cv joint.

Easy to check... jack up the wheel in question, grab the tire at 6 and 12 oclock and try to pivot back and forth. Also grab a pry bar, anything long and strong, put it under the tire and try to pick up the tire with it. If you feel anything, then ball joint it is.

Links are easy enough to check... grab a hold of em and try to rip em from the vehicle... any metal / clunk sound.. tada..

If none of the above, replace the cv joint and move on.

Heres the thing.....i live in England so being here requires me to have an anual vehicle safty check. They go around and do everything you just said. the jack the car up and put a pry bar under the tire and move it to look for looseness. Mine only really does it when i turn hard to the left like go fast into a corner and yank the wheel to the left then you hear the "pop". I understand the concept of the the sway bar not popping because it only moves up in down but when your going into a corner one side is loaded more than the other and pulling to the outside of the turn. So that could cause the pop noise.

I also can see the ball joints making some kind of noise. I wouldnt imagine it making a popping noise but maybe a grinding noise cause the lack of grease.

Can someone clarrify on this.

Thank You

1 - 20 of 32 Posts