Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I have a 2005 Taurus with 3.0 (u)
A couple weeks ago, I started hearing a faint popping sound under the hood. I opened the hood to investigate and noticed the sound was coming from inside the air box. I opened it, removed the filter and looked around. I found nothing in there that could be loose.
Next I started the car with the air box open. I traced the sound back into the plenum. I have no idea where it is coming from inside there. The sound keeps getting louder at different points. Doesn't matter it I'm sitting still or driving. Sometimes it just stops for a day or so and then starts again.
It was last serviced at Ford about 3 weeks prior. Oil change, plugs, wires, etc..
Other than the popping sound, it runs great. No miss of any kind. Just noise.

Can anyone point me into the right location of the possible cause?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
A video with sound might help us figure out your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 05 taurus making the popping sound in the air filter area as well an dies at random times. it's at the dealership now. BUT of course they can't find ne thing wrong with it . GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. some one help please

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Check the black rubber vacuum elbow on the firewall side of the intake is intact and the 2 small hard red/green vac. lines are inserted in its bottom.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
"popping" noises to me almost all the time are a sign of a misfire. Any check engine light, loss of power, unusual vibrations? Happened in my Freestar that way. Didnt really feel bad, but every once in a while it would pop. Down the road it misfired bad with a bad coil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts