Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed my car has developed a sort of popping noise when turning left abruptly or when turning around in a close radius almost to full lock. I had my car in the shop about a month ago for a bad vibration at highway speeds. I had the shop check out the ball joints and tie rod ends and the issue ended up being the tires were out of round. Balls joints and tie rod ends fine. New tires and the feeling of my wheels flying off is gone. Now it seems like ever since then I notice when I turn left something is popping in the front end. It will pop once while turning and that is it.

I'm just trying to narrow down when to check next. Sway bar bushings, subframe bushings?

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I have a 2001 that I bought four years ago from a dealer that had a 1000 mile warranty and it developed a popping on slow turning. I took it in expecting a bad CV joint but it turned out to be a loose front engine mount. Must have been the two on the top of the mount.

What year is it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd start w/sub-frame bushings. Even if they're not the problem (reasonably good chance they are) they are long since in need of replacement.

I chased a "popping" noise for weeks and spent quite a bit of time and money on stuff that didn't fix it -- SFB's did, finally.

Sub-frame bushings are cheap and not a big deal to replace.

Mine popped when I accelerated hard, or hit the brakes.

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
Could also be strut mount bearings. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can easily check your front axle. Look for a ripped and greasy boot. When it loses grease it wears out soon. Try to turn the axle by hand and see if there is play in the joint. Compare it to the other side. Go to the parts store and look at one see how little play it has.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
OEM plastic sway bar links are notorious for noise and/or failure. First thing I'd look at.
In the many bulls I've had I never had to repl. CV joints. They are prone to clicking when worn on turns when they start wearing out.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
I've noticed my car has developed a sort of popping noise when turning left abruptly or when turning around in a close radius almost to full lock. I had my car in the shop about a month ago for a bad vibration at highway speeds. I had the shop check out the ball joints and tie rod ends and the issue ended up being the tires were out of round. Balls joints and tie rod ends fine. New tires and the feeling of my wheels flying off is gone. Now it seems like ever since then I notice when I turn left something is popping in the front end. It will pop once while turning and that is it.

I'm just trying to narrow down when to check next. Sway bar bushings, subframe bushings?
If it pops when not moving but turning the wheel, most likely the strut bearing. Had one. Had my daughter turn the wheel and I touched each spring and could feel it rather harsh, pas side.

If it happens only moving, then is it rhythm pop or only one pop or random pop? If it is rhythm likely CV. Ball Joints usually make noise when hitting bumps. Sway bar links make clunks when uneven road, straight ahead.

But then the common one in rust belt, broken spring. Breaks about 2/3rds around the bottom coil. You can reach in above the front rire and feel around the bottom coil. Easy to check.

Sometimes, do the easy to check first.

Best of luck.
Let us know what you find.

-chart-

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention that the sway bar end links have been replaced within the past 6 months. No longer have the plastic OEM style links.

Also it does seem to pop a bit when the car isn't moving. I noticed the other day when I was turning the wheel parked to try and get a better view of the end links that when I turned right before full lock something pops. You can see the tire kind of bounce back when this happens too. I only noticed it when I was turning the wheel to the right. I wasn't sure if it was happening because I was almost to full lock and just bounced off the stop or if that could be my issue.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
I forgot to mention that the sway bar end links have been replaced within the past 6 months. No longer have the plastic OEM style links.

Also it does seem to pop a bit when the car isn't moving. I noticed the other day when I was turning the wheel parked to try and get a better view of the end links that when I turned right before full lock something pops. You can see the tire kind of bounce back when this happens too. I only noticed it when I was turning the wheel to the right. I wasn't sure if it was happening because I was almost to full lock and just bounced off the stop or if that could be my issue.
I would check sway bar links. There are 2 issues I have seen at the JY. Bent and broken. Steel one bent as they did not fit the strut correctly. Plastic ones same issue. Some cars have right side struts on the left and they bind the sway bar. Most brands of struts do that: use rights for both sides. KYB makes lefts and rights like OEM.

I have had/have 8 Bulls, 5 Lin Cont. Never had a OEM sway bar link fail. But then, I do not drive much in big city pot hole streets.

-chart-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing