·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A '97 with almost 170K miles in the Midwest, I did pretty good, right? LOL

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
You think thats bad...... my 02 Grand Prix GT (only 75 K miles) rusted a brake line thru last week. Rotted lines pretty common here in the midwest. Had it back on the road 3 hrs later for under $20.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
I have a full set of new shop made gen 3 brake lines I had made up but shipping would be an issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i know your'e not supposed to, but has anyone used compression fittings to temporary repair on brake lines and have them fail, my friend who drives honda's said he used compession fittings all the time.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
What is the most important system on any car? THE BRAKING SYSTEM!!! When doing ANY brake system repair, do it the RIGHT way.

If a compression fitting was used to, say, perform a roadside repair to get the car 100 miles home after a line failed on the road, I would say that is fine, but not as a permanent repair.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Compression fitting is for 1-2 hundred psi. Brake line sees several hundred psi. I wouldn't put a compression fitting in my child's car.

By the way, I have a related question. Is there a way to replace the brake line without introducing air into ABS?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Doing your own steel brake lines correctly is fairly easy. Most people shy away from it because they have never done it before; fear of the unknown. A bender, flare tool and a tubing cutter; all of good quality, can be had for under $50.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts