Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey TCCA, I wanted to run this by you all to see if there was something to start looking at.

Here's the issue. When I turn left (sometimes, not every time) I hear a poping noise, almost like some part of the suspension and/or steering is popping in and/or out of place (back into place). It's loud enough to hear in the cabin and feel in the steering column.

I and my mechanic just did all new front suspension in the car (inner & outer tie rods, ball joints, sway bar endlinks, coil/struts). I also just had new tires put on.

There was some time between the new parts going in, 4-wheel alignment and new tires. Basically about a week between each. I did not notice this popping noise after the new parts where installed, nor after the alignment.

I just can't seem to narrow it down enough to have a trained set of eyes take a look. I figured that I would post a link to a youtube video. The sound of course won't be exactly the same due to the mic on the phone, but maybe someone knows something to look at.

FWIW, the CV Joints were in very good shape when we were under there. The sway bar U-brackets AND insulators have yet to be replaced, but we did loosen them to try and take them off. Thanks to TCCA's Bull Geek, I have new U-brackets that I will be replacing and also R&R the insulation. Also, the rear suspension has been done as well, everything except the sway bar insulators and U-brackets.

Thanks for any and all comments!

YouTube Link:

around the 25th second of the vid

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Sounds like a halfshaft to me...

JR
Yup

BTW: Jr, I finally got those halfshafts installed that you sold me installed in my car a few months ago. Mach1 splitter is still sitting here :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just had new ball joints installed and have this problem occasionally as well. A friend at work who is a mechanic said that there is sometimes a wax product put in between the ball joint and the arm that could cause this pop and it will work itself out over time. Don't know if its right but it sounded good when he told me.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the TCCA topic finder the half-shaft/CV noise seems to be explained as marbles rolling around in a can, not a loud popping noise.

But, if it does come down to replacing the half-shafts/CV joints, I have a quick question. Where do the wheel bearings live? Are they in the half-shaft/cv parts OR are they a separate part as well?

901-Memphis, what you say brings up an interesting point. I don't remember any 'waxy' residue on the ball joint itself, but this popping noise is SO intermittent.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Just had new ball joints installed and have this problem occasionally as well. A friend at work who is a mechanic said that there is sometimes a wax product put in between the ball joint and the arm that could cause this pop and it will work itself out over time. Don't know if its right but it sounded good when he told me.
No waxy residue in there. If done properly, all there should be is some anti-seize.
In the TCCA topic finder the half-shaft/CV noise seems to be explained as marbles rolling around in a can, not a loud popping noise.

But, if it does come down to replacing the half-shafts/CV joints, I have a quick question. Where do the wheel bearings live? Are they in the half-shaft/cv parts OR are they a separate part as well?

901-Memphis, what you say brings up an interesting point. I don't remember any 'waxy' residue on the ball joint itself, but this popping noise is SO intermittent.
CV's typically sound like a louder variant of popping your knuckles and are usually only evident accelerating through a turn.

Wheel bearings are separate from the halfshafts and are purchased as the entire hub assembly.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
No waxy residue in there. If done properly, all there should be is some anti-seize.

CV's typically sound like a louder variant of popping your knuckles and are usually only evident accelerating through a turn.

Wheel bearings are separate from the halfshafts and are purchased as the entire hub assembly.
Agreed. When my halfshaft went, it sounded exactly like that you've got going on there.

JR

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if it is the half-shafts/CV joint assembly that is going, does it make sense that the popping noise is intermittent? Is there a good way to test the half-shafts/CV joint by putting the car up on stands?

Again, the half-shafts and hub assembly are pretty much the only things that haven't been replaced up front (other than the insulators for the sway bar).

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
No way to really test them. Try going to an empty parking lot and, at a stop, turn maybe 80% left and accelerate quickly, it should be easy to replicate.

How many miles do you have?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try to replicate the problem in an empty parking lot; get some video as well for the discussion here.

I am just shy of 155,000 miles. As far as I know, they are original parts as I have had the car for 90,000+ miles and I haven't had them replaced.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
I'll try to replicate the problem in an empty parking lot; get some video as well for the discussion here.

I am just shy of 155,000 miles. As far as I know, they are original parts as I have had the car for 90,000+ miles and I haven't had them replaced.
My axles were done at 120-130

·
Registered
29 Posts
Look at transaxle mounts could be that. You can check it by putting the car in drive hold the brake and step on the accelerator if it the engine/trans mount you will that sound.do you have pulsation in the brake when stopping then that can indicate its your bearings but i don't think it will have a popping sound,more or less of a friction metal to metal scraping sound.oh yeah ,make sure your sway links are tight since there new sometime they're known to come lose

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have been hearing the same noise in my car. It started several months ago. When making U-turns and other sharp left turns at very low speeds, I can hear some kind of rubbing/popping noise coming somewhere from the front of me. It's kind of like the pops heard when rubbing an inflatable balloon. I have no idea what's causing it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look at transaxle mounts could be that. You can check it by putting the car in drive hold the brake and step on the accelerator if it the engine/trans mount you will that sound.do you have pulsation in the brake when stopping then that can indicate its your bearings but i don't think it will have a popping sound,more or less of a friction metal to metal scraping sound.oh yeah ,make sure your sway links are tight since there new sometime they're known to come lose

I've been thinking that I need to check the bolts on everything. I cannot seem to get the noise to occur all that frequently. It seems to happen easily at the first part of startup (first real left turn at 20-30 mph or so)

It's just so dang hard to troubleshoot, because I cannot replicate it all that easily. :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
I read your previous post i didn't know you have not change your cv joints i can a sure you its that but,did you say it does it on at start up meaning when you first start driving or when the car in park.??

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I read your previous post i didn't know you have not change your cv joints i can a sure you its that but,did you say it does it on at start up meaning when you first start driving or when the car in park.??
RIC,
I assume you were talking to me. You are correct, I have yet to change my CV Joints/Half-Shafts. The only other things that have not been replaced in the suspension (both front and rear) are the following:

CV-Joints/Half-Shafts (yeah, I mentioned above)
Wheel Bearings
Sway Bar U-Brackets & Insulators

The pop does happen during the drive, but it seems to happen more on the initial start up after sitting for a bit and turning left the first few times. So driving around for awhile seems to reduce the chances of getting the clunk/popping noise.

I will do the parking test and see if the clunk happens at the initial start up time frame while being in Drive with foot on brake and revving the engine. Although, I have yet to notice this.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts