Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Taurus SE sedan with the 24v Duratec engine. Other owners of the same car that I know can peel out their front tires easily by flooring it and mine will not. Also, i 0-60'd in 9.27s and, while it was a cold day, this seems awfully slow. I believe it is running lean also. What can I do to increase its performance to where it should be? How much would a PCM tuning help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is the xcal tune? and i already did codes...and had the fuel pump, egr, and something else replaced. that is how i found out it is running so lean. some value that is supposed to be around 1 is between .2 and .3

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Mine will not burn rubber on a straight takeoff. Are you talking about launching it? I have never launched mine, I figure my trans is running on borrowed time as it is. But mine will make the tires squeel quite well if I punch it in a turn.

I do plan on getting a tuner, but not until after my trans gets rebuilt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine rarely burns on take off but can chirp on turns. But 9.27 second 0-60 its pathetic. . . And its running super lean

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
How do you know it's running lean? Cause of this would be the MAF.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Well then you need to fix the lean issue before performance. What codes do you have now? Maybe we can help so it can be fixed.

Also burning out is a factor of the tires. If you have crappy bald tires you will peal out every time. If you have good tires then it is harder to do.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes a tune can fix a lean condition in open loop. The problem is from the factory they usually run rich in open loop. If it is lean in closed loop then either the O2s are bad or the MAF is. How do you know it's running lean?

The MAF is what measures the air flow and is located between the TB and air filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We hooked it up to a computer a while ago and some value that is supposed to be one was .2 or .3. I don't remember what it was

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would think the O2s are shot if that is what you got. The O2 voltage reading should oscillate between .2v and .8v when warm and in closed loop.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
With those kinds of values, those sensors are shot. A good sensor should read between .4 - .8. It should switch back and forth so that it shows a predictable and consistent waveform.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so it's O2 sensors then? even though the value increases when revved? and would that be affecting my performance?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The O2 sensor values are suppose to cycle high to low. If they stay low or don't change then they are (it is) dead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts