Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Poor mpg?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  chartmaker 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

Two vulcans (07 with engine code 'U', 05 with '2') - 05 never gets over 23mpg on highways, 07 tends to get 28-30 mpg.

Same 89 gas and driving style - they have also been serviced the same way - fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, wires, belt, gaskets, mobile 1 full synthetic fluid, occasional gumout regane complete fuel system cleaner, etc.

On a related note, 05 used to throw misfire code on 87 gas, so I switched to 89 years ago - no more misfire codes - still bad mpg. 05 also sounds like a 'bull' under throttle while 07 'whines' - stock exhaust on both. What am I missing? Thanks.

#3 ·
Not sure what's wheel drag :unsure: But I did swap rim/tire combos between those two and drove at least 30k miles each on the same set (at same PSI). Maybe the 07 is a freak or it may have something to do with its 'U' engine code? Btw, I listed the best case MPGs for both - which comes at right under 2K rpm (58-60mph).

#6 ·
Compare the fuel trims on both and see how much they differ ?
Maybe the 05 front O2 sensors are lazy ?
This is when having the ability to read data can solve a mystery.

#7 ·
First thing to check is possible variables in how you are measuring your mileage. If youre doing the gas station reading then maybe theres something different about the filler neck or breather. And if youre using a scan tool or similar then there are quite a few possibilities. Are you measuring mpg the same way with both vehicles?

#9 ·
Hey Folks,

Two vulcans (07 with engine code 'U', 05 with '2') - 05 never gets over 23mpg on highways, 07 tends to get 28-30 mpg.

Same 89 gas and driving style - they have also been serviced the same way - fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, wires, belt, gaskets, mobile 1 full synthetic fluid, occasional gumout regane complete fuel system cleaner, etc.

On a related note, 05 used to throw misfire code on 87 gas, so I switched to 89 years ago - no more misfire codes - still bad mpg. 05 also sounds like a 'bull' under throttle while 07 'whines' - stock exhaust on both. What am I missing? Thanks.
I have 2 '03's DOHC, wagon and sedan. Pic is what I expect is the best road mpg that can be done. All interstate, some mountains, no wind, cool for minimum A/C, starting fully warmed up engine, stop to stop, one stop light. Same trip, sedan a tick better but within the variation due to traffic.

-chart-

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.