Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I've read a couple dozen threads, but I figured I would throw everything here and see if anyone recognizes a pattern.

03 with a Duractec. I'm gettting P0171/P0174 and P1131/P1151. I have replaced the elbows and tubes on both valve covers, the elbow under the intake, and the harness with the small red tubes. I can find no other vacuum leaks.

When starting, the car will idle fine for a minute then start chugging and idling rough. It will stall when driving if your foot is not on the gas quite often. When this happens, LTFT goes to 0. At idle, battery voltage is 13.9, fuel rail pressure is around 38.7, barometric is 13.505 and airflow is 0.7 lb/min. TPS is at 18%

It always starts right away and runs strong under acceleration.

Thoughts ? DPFE?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely do that, but I would think if the EGR were stuck I'd get a P0401 or P0402 code, no?

·
Super Moderator
7,688 Posts
You have a large vacuum leak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will definitely do that, but I would think if the EGR were stuck I'd get a P0401 or P0402 code, no?
You have wandered into a murky swamp with those codes.

Depending on which computer you use you may get different suggestions. I had, and may still have, the dreaded 171, 174 codes. I replaced almost everything according to the FORSCAN repair suggestions. Finally I got to where it said the DPFE sensor was bad.

Now get this. I replaced the DPFE sensor.....cleared the computer with the OBD2 meter and checked it again. This time I got the two lean codes....AND the 401. FORSCAN said the EGR was bad.

I had replaced the EGR a year ago, but went ahead and got a new one anyways.

Checked the OBD2 sensor and NO FAULTS.....??????

I'm still a bit numb....but plan to take the car for a long ride tomorrow and check it out for sure.

DPFE was 20.00 on AMAZON,
EGR was 36.00 from Parts Geek.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've gone through the whole thing again and can't see any vacuum leaks, let alone big ones.

Here is the weird thing... if I spray starting fluid lightly on the hose under the TPS. (intake to a thing on the firewall, about a half inch ID) I get an idle bump and STFT drops. I pulled the hose off and checked it for leaks with air and water and it seems tight. Same if I spray the TPS itself. Could the sensor be leaking? I've seen sensors leak fluid, but never air. I suppose it is possible though.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I've gone through the whole thing again and can't see any vacuum leaks, let alone big ones.

Here is the weird thing... if I spray starting fluid lightly on the hose under the TPS. (intake to a thing on the firewall, about a half inch ID) I get an idle bump and STFT drops. I pulled the hose off and checked it for leaks with air and water and it seems tight. Same if I spray the TPS itself. Could the sensor be leaking? I've seen sensors leak fluid, but never air. I suppose it is possible though.
Doubt the TPS can leak. The shaft turns on ball bearings, sealed both sides.

Other places for leaks around there. There is a vertical hose right on the bottom of the intake very close to the TB. It connects to a metal pipe.

-chart-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Other places for leaks around there. There is a vertical hose right on the bottom of the intake very close to the TB. It connects to a metal pipe.

-chart-
Right on the money. The nipple is actually cracked, plus the elbow is shot. This is the tube to the oil separator, from what I understand. Ford has an updated one with a reinforced elbow.

I'm going to have to pull the manifold off and try and JB weld that nipple. ugh....

·
Super Moderator
7,688 Posts
I doubt JB will hold for long. What about pulling the intake, cutting off the remaining portion of the nipple and tapping the hole for a brass threaded fitting from the hardware store.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

-chart-
Right on the money. The nipple is actually cracked, plus the elbow is shot. This is the tube to the oil separator, from what I understand. Ford has an updated one with a reinforced elbow.

I'm going to have to pull the manifold off and try and JB weld that nipple. ugh....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
mikeymo1741
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing