Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all experts and alike, I got a 2001 Taurus SES FlexFuel with 150K, it came with a erratic fuel meter and check-engine-light on, and very hard to break at city speed. I replaced flex fuel sensor (which took care of fuel meter) and a EGR sensor (check-engine-like is OFF now). I also did some regular maintanance (plugs, air filter ..). I have been driving it for about 3 weeks now, no error codes since. However, when it is at 30-40 mph (city speed), the engine revs around 1500 rpm and stays there (very slow to go down even without stepping on gas, WD40 does not help), so that it makes hard to stop at red-light/stop-sign, but once it fully stopped, the engine sounds very smooth and idles at 800 or so. I am suspecting air leakages or faulty sensors, but could not spot anything yet. it gets 16 mpg in city and 24 on highway.

previous owner kept a good maintainance schedule with oil change every 3 months and other goodies, but she had to replace break pads and ROTORS every two years. to me, it said something not so right. first i thought it could be break systems, but noticed this hard-to-break

any suggestions where i should check next. this is my first Ford and still learning. thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
The answer to all your questions is via the topic finder. It is more helpful than just waiting around for replies, or waiting for the grass to grow.

Believe me, go there, then come back if you have not completely been satisfied with it. It saved me $$$ and time!

And for some peculiar reason, it also saves face too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did already before I posted. could not find anything on the very symptoms

I am still learning about cars, no losing face there. ;)

QUOTE (Enzo731 @ Jun 26 2009, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735490
The answer to all your questions is via the topic finder. It is more helpful than just waiting around for replies, or waiting for the grass to grow.

Believe me, go there, then come back if you have not completely been satisfied with it. It saved me $$$ and time!

And for some peculiar reason, it also saves face too![/b]

·
Registered
290 Posts
the idle air control unit might be faulty. IAC for short.

usually a warm engine idle is 650 about. 800 sounds more like cold.

if you replaced your egr, then go to the IAC, it's usually one of the two.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Enzo731.

idled engine until hot, still ran 800rpm on parking (the same on gear). unplugged IAC, the engine died immediately (so the IAC was good, i was told)

got a can of TB cleaner from Autozone, took out IAC and cleaned it with cleaner, and TB too. set a while, put everything back. now it idles about 700 and a bit easier to break from ~40 mph, but still harder than that of Camery (2006).

by browsing internet, someone also mentioned MAF sensor. any way to test its functionality?

or are there anything else I should be looking. thanks

QUOTE (Enzo731 @ Jun 26 2009, 11:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735540
the idle air control unit might be faulty. IAC for short.

usually a warm engine idle is 650 about. 800 sounds more like cold.

if you replaced your egr, then go to the IAC, it's usually one of the two.[/b]

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also the possibility the MAF is dirty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how to clean MAF or test it? take it out like i did to IAC with TB cleaner?

QUOTE (Enzo731 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735615
Also the possibility the MAF is dirty.[/b]
one more detail. when i cleaned IAC, I noticed that it was NOT closed completely, and the piston inside moved a bit. does it mean it is faulty and needs to be replaced? how can i further test (besides disconnecting as I did this morning) its functionality? Thanks a lot

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would think the IAC is a bit faulty. Thats why you saw the little improvement when cleaning it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (drj @ Jun 27 2009, 09:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735620
how to clean MAF or test it? take it out like i did to IAC with TB cleaner?[/b]
Take off the air intake hose and spray the MAF sensor (it's a very thin wire in a plastic support) with dedicated MAF sensor cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. Do not use carb or TB cleaner on the MAF sensor!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got a new IAC unit from Autozone today, by comparing the new with my old one, I noticed that the new one also moves a bit, it is also not closed fully (in one post here, someone mentioned that it should close itself, http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59381, which is not correct). put it on. will know how things going in a few days.

thanks for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts