Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2002 Sable has been possessed! While driving, the door locks will lock repeatedly rapid fire as if somebody is pressing the automatic lock button over and over. This will typically last for about 1-2 minutes before stopping. A less exciting quirk is that sometimes (but not always, which makes it hard to diagnose) the dome light and the lights on the underside of the side view mirrors will stay on after I have parked and turned off the car at night. Sometimes they will turn off at night, but when I head to the car early the next morning they will be on, for how long I haven't a clue. These problems have been draining the battery and scaring passengers. I haven't seen any patterns that trigger the events. Any ideas?

P.S. This is my first post so if I have inadvertently broken any written or unwritten forum rules please go easy on me! Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
All I can get out of the '02 wiring diagram is that the door lock relay may not be making a complete contact - make and break repeatedly. I am not sure about the door lock relay, if it is a discrete relay that you can pull out and replace, or integrated into the Central Junction Box. Maybe a more knowledgeable person can figure all out for you.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
On the random phantom door lock actuation, I've had a faulty/acting out remote key FOB do this. Once happened while I was working under hood, once going down the road. Maybe try a new battery in the FOB. If it's gotten wet, that can mess it up too, so remove the FOB's battery & see if it'll stop acting out.

On the interior lights staying on, maybe try spritzing the door lock mechanism real good with WD-40, as the interior light on/off switch is in the striker plate area.

I suppose you could have an acting out GEM module. Do you have any body computer trouble codes stored????

How is your battery heath, is it up to full charge, the alternator outputting ok & the battery to engine & body ground cables connections in good shape, clean, bright & tight???? If in doubt about your electrical systems health, most autoparts stores will do a no cost electrical load test with all electrical system components in the vehicle, with their portable electrical system tester.

More thoughts for pondering, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
^+1 on spraying the latches on the end of all doors liberally with wd-40. Also, be sure to get that free elec. load test pawpaw suggested at a parts store!

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 2002 Sable has been possessed! While driving, the door locks will lock repeatedly rapid fire as if somebody is pressing the automatic lock button over and over. This will typically last for about 1-2 minutes before stopping. A less exciting quirk is that sometimes (but not always, which makes it hard to diagnose) the dome light and the lights on the underside of the side view mirrors will stay on after I have parked and turned off the car at night. Sometimes they will turn off at night, but when I head to the car early the next morning they will be on, for how long I haven't a clue. These problems have been draining the battery and scaring passengers. I haven't seen any patterns that trigger the events. Any ideas?

P.S. This is my first post so if I have inadvertently broken any written or unwritten forum rules please go easy on me! Many thanks!
Are you the first owner, could be the previous owner or someone else died in the car and there ghost is trying to get out, or they dont want u in that car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if there is a way to replay to each person's post individually, so I am going to reply to all. Thanks for the great info. I will try the WD-40 and replacing some of the relays associated with the symptoms. Electrical work is out of my league but I'm afraid to bring it in to the shop because there is no way of telling if the issue has been fixed at the time of the repair because the symptoms are erratic. So I've got my fingers crossed that these tips do the trick. Thank you all for taking the time to contribute!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the WD-40 and removing the FOB but the problem remains. I'm convinced that the issues with the lights and locks are a symptom of the vehicle "thinking" that the door is adjar they all express themselves when the door adjar light is flashing on and off while driving. I was hoping to get everybody's thoughts on what the next best/cheapest/easiest troubleshooting repair would be. I want to eliminate those possibilites before I bust out the big bucks. In the meantime I have pulled the fuse that controls the dome and side view mirror lights to avoid killing the battery, but the side effect is that my power windows no longer function. I'm hoping to clear this up soon so I can enjoy the crisp fall air!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
OK, good trouble shooting & feedback, since the GEM electrically controls those things, add it to your suspect list. A body shop with a good scantool should be able to scan it to see if any body trouble codes are stored, or if it's just that the GEM has gone belly up. Keep us posted on your troubleshoot findings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts