Which item is neglected the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Odd that people on a Taurus forum would single out transmission service, huh? :ph34r:

:p

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
Most everyone I know has an idea of when their oil should be changed and most know to check it in between. Although the small percentage of fools who don't do provide epic fails. What's the first thing anyone thinks of when they have to drive a long distance? But the automatic transmission is the black hole of most people's automotive knowledge. Most of them are probably unaware it even has a filter.

Chrysler has sadly fallen by the wayside. The lessons Ford learned from producing poor quality vehicles in the late '70's and early '80's that ultimately forced them to reinvent themselves and bet the farm on the Taurus/Sable were lost on Chrysler. Hard to believe the company that created the most bulletproof 6 cylinder of all time (225 slant) is responsible for that POS 2.7

·
Registered
728 Posts
Everyone hates Chrysler because of the 2.7 v6, only the worse engine of all time! And I really don't like they’re interiors, they all seam so cheap and plasticy.
That engine is not exactly made by Chrysler. Hyundai uses the same block.

The issue with those is the oiling. The journals are extremely small and even an aftermarket oil filter causes problems with them. The block is extremely easy to crack.0

·
Registered
88 Posts

The issue with those is the oiling. The journals are extremely small and even an aftermarket oil filter causes problems with them. The block is extremely easy to crack.0

I didn't know this, well that explains a lot!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
The coolant isn't one because most Taurus have enough coolant leaks or issues that the coolant gets drain frequently.

I neglect a tune up because all I do is change plugs every 75k miles and nothing else. I may have changed the air filter once in 136k miles. They don't get dirty without the PCV going into them.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Either way they don't make it anymore. The Pentastar on the other hand, is an excellent engine.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Either way they don't make it anymore. The Pentastar on the other hand, is an excellent engine.
The Delta 2.7 V6 is a decent engine, as long as it is maintained; and can go over 250,000 miles easily. Properly built up, they can make 385 hp/tq with no problem. A friend of mine custom built a turbo kit for this engine and even bone stock, he was reaching those numbers.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I didn't know this, well that explains a lot!
I know this because when I took the GK Tiburon new model training back in 02, this was the engine that is an option for the Hyundai. Chrysler and Mitsubishi started using them soon after. The code name for the engine is the Delta 2.7 liter V6.

In 06, Hyundai produced the Lambda 3.3 and 3.8 V6, all new, and the Theta 2.4 I4. The Theta is used in Mitsubishi in the Lancer EVO and Dodge/Chrysler cars. In 07, HMC produced the 2.0 Theta turbo I4 engine. In 11, they began using GDI and also the 1.8 I4. These are used yet in Chrysler/Mitsubishi and other cars.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would have to say suspension. The rear shocks are blown in the Sable and have been as such for a while apparently. The Grand Marquis is due for new shocks soon.

My second would be transmission service. I keep my Grand Marquis on the "Severe Service" schedule just to stay ahead if myself should I slip 100 miles on something.

Funny story with that: I knew my full tune up was due at 120,000 miles which included the trans flush-fill. I thought I was the first to do that on the car. Turned out the old guy who owned it before me had a drive line shutter around 60,000 miles and had it done then. Honestly, he took it in for every squeak and rattle that car ever had according to the stack of receipts. :)

The Sable on the other hand is dangerously overdue for at least a pan drop n' fill. I asked the previous owner if the AXOD had ever been serviced in his ownership or by his mother-in-law and he said no. If there's 24 year old transmission fluid in there someone needs a good whack to the head. At least the fluid doesn't smell burnt. :angry:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would have to say suspension. The rear shocks are blown in the Sable and have been as such for a while apparently. The Grand Marquis is due for new shocks soon.

My second would be transmission service. I keep my Grand Marquis on the "Sever Service" schedule just to stay ahead if myself should I slip 100 miles on something.

Funny story with that: I knew my full tune up was due at 120,000 miles which included the trans flush-fill. I thought I was the first to do that on the car. Turned out the old guy who owned it before me had a drive line shutter around 60,000 miles and had it done then. Honestly, he took it in for every squeak and rattle that car ever had according to the stack of receipts. :)

The Sable on the other hand is dangerously overdue for at least a pan drop n' fill. I asked the previous owner if the AXOD had ever been serviced in his ownership or by his mother-in-law and he said no. If there's 24 year old transmission fluid in there someone needs a good whack to the head. At least the fluid doesn't smell burnt. :angry:
I also do my AT on a severe service schedule on my car. I know full well that any type of debris is not good and the better you keep it fresh and clean, the better off you are.

On your Sable, with 89K on it, it may not have been driven hard, and if it is still clean, that is a good thing.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
I do mine on severe service as well. Ford says I don't have to do mine but every 150k for normal service. It was already done once at 66k and I'll do it again at 100k. No filter to change. I have a drain plug :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I do mine on severe service as well. Ford says I don't have to do mine but every 150k for normal service. It was already done once at 66k and I'll do it again at 100k. No filter to change. I have a drain plug :)
I changed my 03 Hyundai Elantra (which had no AT filter) ATF at 17,000, then at 30K intervals. The company claimed it did not need changing for 105,000 miles.

My El-Camino had the TH350 AT in it and it got new fluid and filter every 15,000 miles. My truck's ATF gets changed every 10,000 miles. The Allisson has 2 filters, one a spin-on filter and an internal one that does not get changed. I just swap out the spin-on filter during the change.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Just saw this! Somebody missed coolant! I would have voted for that first. After that I would have had a general category for tires (which includes air pressure, rotations, and being too worn out).

I see most of you guys voted for ATF, but I think coolant gets changed less often (but has fewer repercussions). Not changing your ATF has a bigger impact than not changing coolant which is why I think its more popular as of now.

Too many accidents in bad weather are related to poor tire maintenance, so tire maintenance should be #1 from a safety perspective and oil changes #1 from a cost savings perspective.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just saw this! Somebody missed coolant! I would have voted for that first. After that I would have had a general category for tires (which includes air pressure, rotations, and being too worn out).

I see most of you guys voted for ATF, but I think coolant gets changed less often (but has fewer repercussions). Not changing your ATF has a bigger impact than not changing coolant which is why I think its more popular as of now.

Too many accidents in bad weather are related to poor tire maintenance, so tire maintenance should be #1 from a safety perspective and oil changes #1 from a cost savings perspective.
I think bad tires are the most caused source of accidents that are not distractions, which is the highest these days.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
I think you are right. Bad tires do cause lots of accidents. Wish people would just suck it up and spend the money on rubber and take care of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It's gotta be either transmission fluid or the suspension work. An average person is aware that you need to change oil at least sometimes and that if your car doesn't stop well then perhaps you need to do something about brakes. Likewise, most people know that filters, tires, and some other items are expendable. (However, I wish more people would realize that it is NOT safe to drive on tires older than six years from the day of manufacture are printed on the sidewall _regardless_ of the thread thickness). However, ATF and brake fluid change is something that most people absolutely neglect. I have seen jaws drop so many times when I mentioned changing ATF, even among car salesmen. Likewise, even many DIY mechanics who are proud of having replaced brake pads on their own get surprised if I mention that they need to bleed the brakes too, and even change the whole fluid (and rotors) sometimes. Nonetheless, there are plenty of cars on the road that go over a decade without changing the brake fluid, so it can't be very bad not to change brake fluid on most cars.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.