Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

What is your #1 Fall maintenance priority?

• Battery and charging system, check/service

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Coolant check/service/flush

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Tires (evaluate/service/mount snows)

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Fluid and filter changes

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Brake system and suspension check/service

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Exterior and interior (wax/prep for winter)

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Change the air freshner, weather is not an issue here

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
14,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With more comfortable outdoor working temperatures arriving and Winter coming Fall is often the biggest maintenance season for most of us. Keeping in mind that many of us do all of the things listed and more besides, what is #1 on your annual Fall maintenance list? Please focus on maintenance rather than necessary repairs.

Since many of the folks that visit are relatively new to the Bull, or car maintenance in general, please note below any top priority you have that I may have failed to list. Also feel free to discuss seasonal maintenance in general

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
I'm planning on escaping the last two weeks of December back to my desert paradise (land of the sane), so I think I'll avoid the worst of it.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
While there are a bunch of things that always get checked before the winter hell we deal with in the NE....... most important, to me, is making sure your battery and charging system is in full working, good serviceable order. There's nothing worse than getting in your nicely cleaned and polished car...... just to find out that it's stone dead and won't start because you've been putting off replacing that battery for years and now you are stuck at work in the middle of a snowstorm.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Ive been preparing since july, lol. New battery and alternator already in the car, so im focusing on exterior preparation at this point. Greased all latches and locks recently as well. The last repair im doing before the cold is replacing the A/C compressor. Gotta have that defrost, lel.

·
Administrator
14,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the exception of the cooling system, that's a spring service here, the 'fleet' gets all of the above but the charging system is always #1 with a bullet. In addition to checking the charging system, cables and connections I won't let any of the vehicles enter a northern New England winter with a 3.5+ year old battery, it's not worth the risk. Most of the snow tires are studded. Though they can be put on as soon as 10/01 I usually wait until after Thanksgiving so the studs don't get worn down prematurely. We usually get snow well before that but not in such sufficient or lasting amounts that the studs are needed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Temps here have gotten to -40F for the past few years. If your battery and charging system isn't in good shape, you WILL find out. Nothing like trying to replace a battery in a parking lot, at night, in -40 temps. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes2:

Also, gotta make sure the oil is thin enough. Not really a problem with the Sable, but 2 years ago I didn't swap weights during the winter and the oil in my truck (sbc) was solid during the worst cold snap.

Tires need to be in good shape. Ice skating is no fun on back roads or the interstate.

Heater core needs to be in good shape and coolant topped off, along with the "defrost" setting actually working.

Anything that looks like it might not last til spring and I have the money to do before it's cold, I do. Working on cars in arctic temps sucks.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Tires, for me.

Batteries should all be in good shape, and the Bull just got a nice Quick Lane inspection with not so much as a yellow let alone red flag. Colder temps just make an even better case for battery and snow tires...

Great poll idea, Mark.

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Just a hand wash and wax. I've had my oem rubber mats in the SHO since the first rains so that should keep the SHO mats from getting ruined.

The SEL needs some waterproofing before december, but otherwise I don't see much of anything that needs to be done this winter :p

·
Registered
879 Posts
Temps here have gotten to -40F for the past few years. If your battery and charging system isn't in good shape, you WILL find out. Nothing like trying to replace a battery in a parking lot, at night, in -40 temps. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes2:

Also, gotta make sure the oil is thin enough. Not really a problem with the Sable, but 2 years ago I didn't swap weights during the winter and the oil in my truck (sbc) was solid during the worst cold snap.

Tires need to be in good shape. Ice skating is no fun on back roads or the interstate.

Heater core needs to be in good shape and coolant topped off, along with the "defrost" setting actually working.

Anything that looks like it might not last til spring and I have the money to do before it's cold, I do. Working on cars in arctic temps sucks.
As another Wisconsinite I can vouch for all of this and wholeheartedly agree. I personally always change oil around the middle of november as well so I should be able to make it until spring before changing again. Changing the oil on a car that is hot, cold, wet, and dripping snow chunks on your face is NOT fun.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Take care of any paint blemishes (chips, etc.) before the salt does its thing to them. Also, clean and vacuum interior and switch over to the winter floormats.

The most of the other items are regular maintenance items that are on their own schedules (unless something is close to needing attention in the fall, like tires).

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
The whole poll list for me
Do it now while weather is not too bad. Hopefully nothing goes out in Feb.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
Not really concerned about it at all. Autumn, here, announces its arrival when we start getting cold water out of the cold-water faucets again and then when November comes it's great to open the house up to fresh air again. Only thing that sucks is, by November the pool is too cool to use again until March.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Not really concerned about it at all. Autumn, here, announces its arrival when we start getting cold water out of the cold-water faucets again and then when November comes it's great to open the house up to fresh air again. Only thing that sucks is, by November the pool is too cool to use again until March.
I was waiting for you to say "Winter....... what is this winter you speak of?"(even though it's about fall maintenance):lol2:

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
Oh, no. When one grows up in New England, one has it imprinted in their DNA. My last winter there (1994-95) in Spencer and Rutland, it seemed we had 10-11" of snow every three days. I was a full-time warehouse manager working part-time because I averaged 12 hours a week out of work due to impassable roads. The previous winter in Worcester, our parking lot was closed in DAILY by the municipal snowplows clearing the roads. It was nuts.

I gladly put up with 90° temps all summer, just to have winter weather in the 60s and 70s. :p

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
So would I........... I'd much rather the warmth than the cold. Already everyone in my house(myself included) is sick, and it's just the beginning of the season. We've already gotten into the low 30's overnight, and come this weekend we will be in the low 50's for high temps. Hopefully it's not going to be as bad as everyone has been saying this winter.

·
Administrator
14,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not me, I am a true son of New England. Give me 35° over 95° every time. I can easily put on enough to be warm but can't remove my skin to cool off. Ice and snowstorms are a different story, if I never saw another one I would die a happy man

1 - 20 of 42 Posts