Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple poll...Do you get better economy using cruise control or modulating the throttle with your foot?

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My answer is OFF. Drove 160 miles to family at the other end of the state, cruise control off most of the way, averaging 75mph for half the trip and 80+ for the other half, (with other miscellaneous speeds including triple digits, lol.) Saw 25.2mpg from this. Coming back, I had cruise set to 74-75 for 95% of the drive and I got 24.1mpg. It was me and a couple bags in the car, and the way down yesterday was pretty windy. Tonight on the way back, not so much.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
I don't think I've used mine a dozen times in sixteen years. Even on the interstate, down here with snowbirds and other idiots it's difficult to set a speed and keep it for more than a few minutes. Not worth the aggravation.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
For me it depends. If I want to, I can get better economy than the cruise control by allowing the car to slow down going up hills. But I don't really notice a big difference either way, it's more about making my life easier on the interstate so I don't have to watch my speed all the time.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
I usually let the car cruise up hills, it's down that I usually turn it off. I don't like the way the AX4N brakes to slow the car. This is usually on a pretty good downstretch that I'll turn it off.

I got my 30.5 MPG figure cruising at 65 most of the way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
14,915 Posts
I don't see an appreciable difference but that may have to do with a lack of level terrain in our highway driving. I use the cruise more as an anti-citation device than as an economy feature

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I think with a maxmileage foot there would be negligible difference. On a non congested highway with consistent postings its quiet convenient, But if your tapping your pedal and hitting resume every 1-3 miles your mileage may actually suffer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't see an appreciable difference but that may have to do with a lack of level terrain in our highway driving. I use the cruise more as an anti-citation device than as an economy feature

same here, although i do get better gas mileage running the speed limit running 5 or less mph over the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would say that I do get better fuel economy with using cruise control, however my 5 spd 3.8 mustang gets way better gas mileage even if i drive it like i stole it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a staunch believer in CC. This little device can control the throttle better than my lead foot and is more sensitive to terrain and different road conditions. Went on a 3,000 mile trip in April and averaged 30+ mph with my highest being 35. This is on a '97 Taurus with the DOHC engine and close to 160,000 miles. I even use it around town.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I always use CC on the highways and country roads. Today I was on a country road doing 90KPH. Long straight stretch, flat and very little wind... Fluctuated between 40-41 MPG.

Straight stretch on the 401 at 107KPH, around 36-37 MPG.

Readings taking from my Nexus 7 with Torgue connected via Bluetooth to an ELM327 OBDII connector.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
13 Participants
billygee
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing