How old is your battery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How old is your battery? Now that we're nearing the end of winter (well, some of us are...) your batteries have either passed or failed the test.

Let us know the brand and such in the comments below! Multiple choices for multiple owners.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
My car is still too new to really evaluate, but the other vehicles are rocking their Motorcraft batteries still. We have yet to experience a dead one. Generally, Deka batteries have gone in to replace the Motorcrafts when it's time. They've worked well.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My current battery is an O'Reilly Super Start Premium and is only 2 months old. It replaced a Napa Legond 75 that was 7 years old before a week of -40 temps finished it off. It didn't freeze, just refused to hold a charge.

·
N.E. Chapter Moderator
2,684 Posts
Fresh Autocraft Silver 36R-1 in September for about $65. Replaced a 2008 Napa Legend 58 group battery.

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Mine has been in there since the beginning of time.The Green Machine was sitting for about 2.5 years with the battery in it. When we bought it, we charged the battery and it's been in there since. :D

I forget what battery is type it is, but I'll check. I think it's a Duralast Winter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
going on about 3 years with my Motomaster (canadian tire) battery. I haven't had any problems with it, but I might get a new one soon as I have heard that brand isn't the greatest for longevity, but it hasn't failed me. I did have a new starter installed today (motorcraft) as I had a no start/crank the other day until I banged on it, it lasted 5 years (motorcraft).

·
Registered
215 Posts
On the 09 Sable I just bought. I replaced the factory motorcraft battery with an Autocraft Silver 58 series battery. The factory battery was still testing good, but at full charge was holding only 435 CCA compared to its rating of 590...so I chose to air on the side of caution.
My 92 has had an autocraft silver 65 series battery in it since 2010 and had zero issues.

Jeff

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
I have a Motorcraft Max battery. It was put in my car April 15, 2013 right before I purchased the car. 3 year free replacement and 100 month prorated warranty. Looks likely I'll be replacing my battery with another Motorcraft one. They are made by Johnson Controls I think. Pretty competitive too. Like $115. It cranks very well and when it was below 10 degrees cranked slower but still started quickly.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
The '14's is also a Motorcraft Max (replaced at delivery due to lot rot, car began clicking incessantly instead of starting the moment I tried to drive off). I swear, even with the low temps it didn't even slow down, which is more than I could say for the Escape at the same temps. Impressive.

Fun fact: the Push-to-Start Tauruses get bigger batteries. I'm a tad jealous.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Die Hard Gold, got it in June of 2012 to replace a Motorcraft battery.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Diehard gold 34 for my impala to replaced the factory one a month ago. And a diehard gold 36r to replace my moms everstart batt in her bull last week.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just bought the 09 Sable in late Jan (air temps were just a few degrees below zero), the dealer had had the car since around thanksgiving. their workup indicated they replaced the battery, which i get a feeling they didn't, simply b/c it's a Motorcraft max battery, and they are a Honda/Toyota Dealer. haven't tried to locate the date code on it yet.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Dual Blue top Optima D3100's 7' apart (under hood & in trunk) in parallel connected by 2/0 gauge ultra flex cable. Practically guarantees a car to start in below zero Chicago weather and every stranded car with a dead battery jumped starts immediately.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The xs power battery in my Taurus is 6 years old in April. It was a little weak on the -25 and lower days but still fired every time. The Canadian tire battery in 4runner is at least 3 years old now. It's been sitting for a while. Checked a couple weeks ago and it was quite corroded and dead. Cleaned it up, added some water and charged it. Seems fine now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised by manufacturer original equipment batteries!

I don't recall how long it was, but the Motorcraft battery seemed to have lasted a while in my dad's '89 SHO.

The first car I bought on my own was a '98 Civic. The battery in that car lasted 8 years without any problems. I replaced it due to its age.

My 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240's original equipment battery lasted an equally long 8 years, finally being replaced due to its age. The OE replacement battery is going on 6 years.

I don't know who made those batteries, but I definitely went with the respective OE batteries when it was time to replace them. I'm sure I'll follow suit with my 2013, when it comes time to replace the battery.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
In the wagon..... Wally World special that is about 1.75 years old......... and it's dead. I'm going to take it back and replace it with another as it's still covered under warranty but the next time around I'll buy a better battery for it.

In the Bird.... Wally World Maxx. 2 years old and cranks perfectly strong every time.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure how old my last battery was, nor what brand it was. Pile of junk AAA battery that was in the car when I got it. Didn't make it a year before it conked out.

Currently have a Duralast battery in there.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I got my car with an incorrectly-sized battery in it. I'm not sure if it was the previous owner or someone before him, but the battery was a Napa brand and it left me stranded with my friends in the Sam's Club parking lot in the fall of 2012. We walked next door to Walmart and bought whatever brand of battery they sell (I think it's EverStart Maxx). It's been a pretty good battery, and we've had windchills in the -30's this winter and my car stays outside all the time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My Five Hundred somewhow still has the original battery in it and it has started up instantly every day this winter even when it was getting into the high negatives. I can't comprehend how this is even possible considering that I replaced the battery in the Taurus practically once a year since by the time spring rolled around it was always a hard crank...

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if this battery will last until spring which, given the snow storm that blasted us all day, won't be here for a while longer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts