Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Are you interested in an inexpensive PCV removal/installation tool?

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting ready to replace the PCV in my 00 Duratec. Been reading about what a pain it is and suggestions for getting the job done.

One of my hobbies is Scale Modeling. I have the materials to create a mold and cast resin plastic pieces. So my plan is to use the cast the new PCV to make a tool that slips onto it snugly so your can twist it in/out easily. I'm not sure about the other end yet, I could make it so that a 3/8" ratchet snaps into it. Or I could create a nipple that fits into a vacuum hose.

As I've been reading through posts, I thought such a tool might be of interest to others. So I thought I would poll you folks and ask.

Off the top of my head, the materials and time to make this tool would cost between $3-$5 and would ship First Class inexpensively.

So let me know what you think.

BTW - I am not asking you to commit to buy one if you are interested. Your response will help me determine how much material I would need. If I purchase greater quantities, the price drops. Also, if my tests don't work out, I am not committing to making this tool available.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i think that would be cool as opposed to removing the UIM. when i did mine, i think i was able to use an oxygen sensor socket on a long extension. it worked, but not very well.

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
When I did the PCV on my car, I just used a 7/8ths deep socket and it worked as good or better than the PVC pipe that you can make.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I did the PCV on my car, I just used a 7/8ths deep socket and it worked as good or better than the PVC pipe that you can make.
Just to clarify - this is not a PVC pipe I am talking about. Rather it is more like a socket specially designed to fit the PCV valve.

I read about using the 7/8" deep socket. I'm thinking some folks (like me) don't have one. And I read several posts (not all of them here) that the socket often cracks the PCV valve during removal, sometimes leaving it more difficult to remove.

My other though is that being able to fit the socket onto a flexible hose rather than a ratchet would enable people to maneuver it into place more readily, and avoid having to remove other parts.

Again, my initial thought was about my own situation, then thought others might be interested. Thanks for your FB - that is why I posted the thread.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
If I had a Duratec, I'd buy one.
Is the difficult to replace PCV design shared with Escape and or Ranger 'tecs? And or the later 500/Montegos?

This is something for where 3D modeling and printing would be so useful.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
If I had a Duratec, I'd buy one.
Is the difficult to replace PCV design shared with Escape and or Ranger 'tecs? And or the later 500/Montegos?

This is something for where 3D modeling and printing would be so useful.
It isn't brain surgery here. See pic, whittle pice of wood ~.800 per side and tapered. Use PVC coupling, heat with heat gun and pound it onto the wood. Then glue in a section of pipe. The masking tape is just to hold the valve for pulling out and holding it for install. Add strips as needed. I did glue in a piece of wood dowell in the other end for gripping. Optional.

-chart-

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
If I still had my 2000 I would totally buy one. Even with removing the UIM it was still a pain to get it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts