Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have had a spring break on your Taurus, please post what year,
front or rear, where they broke, and if it punctured a tire.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i had a rear spring break on the lowest coil no tire damage. car is a 2000 sable im not sure when it broke but i think it was not long after i got it so probably in 07

i even still have that spring haha

·
Registered
367 Posts
front left spring broke on my 02 in 07 or 08 cant remember, ruined the tire too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both of my rear springs on my 01 broke in 08. No tire damage, but the broken spring on one side was within 1/4 inch of my tire.

60K miles! Never should have happened.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Front driver's spring on my '02 in 3/2008 at about 60K broke and destroyed the tire. Not sure where the spring broke.

Both rears on the same '02 in early 2010 at ~80K-85K, somewhere near the top or bottom as only a small part of the coil broke off. No other known damage from the rears.

In all three instances the car was parked when the springs broke.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Left Front Spring Broke 4 days ago, I was 14 days outside of the 10 year warranty on the spring and Ford would not budge on replacing them for free, very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
2 - 1997 SHO's. Both cars were rear coil spring failure, near the top, due to rust. Neither blew out a tire.

Seen 2 1999 SHO's that BOTH blew out front tires, without warning. Both cars were parked at the time so luckily nobody was hurt.

Ford fixed both under a recall.

·
Registered
200 Posts
96 Sable LS - LR spring, small piece broke at the top of the spring, mileage prior to 67K, tire not affected. Replaced with set of rear springs from NAPA.

·
Registered
562 Posts
2000 Taurus broke the drivers front at about 70K miles. No tire damage and the Ford dealer picked it up on a flat bed trailer at my house and replaced both front springs and installed shields. Passenger rear broke just recently at 150K miles with no damage to tire. I replaced the rears with cargo coils and sensatrac struts so hopefuly won't break again.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
01 Taurus:
Passenger rear in 2008, 38,000 miles - ruined new michelin tire
drivers front in 2010, 60,000 miles - covered by ford warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 SEL 80,000ish kilometers Both rear springs broke about 6 months apart in 08 No tire damage Recently noticed front springs are starting to rust up pretty good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts