Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering offering this service to the members of TCCA. I would have to purchase a couple of extra throttle bodies from local junkyards, and any members who are willing to sell them. Then bore them out from 60mm to 63mm. This would increase cross-sectional area by approx. 10%.

cross-sectional area = pi * radius^2
60 mm 3.14*30^2 = 2826 mm^2
63 mm 3.14*31.5^2 = 3115 mm^2
3115/2826 = 1.1 = 110%

This would include a new brass 63mm thottle plate installed with flush mounted screws loc-tited in position. All machining would be performed by myself, in a iso 9000 certified shop. Installation of new Throttle Body would range from 20 minutes to an hour depending on experience. The price would be $75, plus a $50 core. The only reason I would charge this much for a core is because this is what the junkyards in my area charge me for another one.

With this mod, I noticed marginally better performance at the top end. Although no dynos have been performed, I would expect 3 to 5 extra HP on the top end.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
So you finally got it to sit flush, eh? It'll be a while before I'm ready, I have a horrible oil leak that's going to cost an arm and a leg to fix.

So if it takes a long time, don't give up on this project, save the plans and part info somewhere.

G

·
Hey, will we have to send you OUR throttle bodie? Or would you be able to sell us one already bored out, and then ship ours to you as a "core" type process?

Good work!

SableSal

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I made a fixture so that I can turn an elliptical shape on the O.D. of the plate, and the car is idling correctly now.

I plan on buying a few extra TB's from the local junkyards so that you won't have to send me your old TB until you've already recieved your modified one. This way, nobody has to go a couple of weeks without a car.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Could we ask for a 65mm. Isn't that like a 1/4" bigger than stock.

I'm sure the boring could be done but, not sure about the plate. Could you find, or does anybody know of a site that sell these plates already made in different sizes??

·
Registered
695 Posts
Why don't you try it yourself then report back with the results? If it goes good then you can sell it to others. What's the sense of doing a bunch and THEN finding out it didn't help?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, 63 mm is the MAX. At 63 mm, I'm just starting to cut into the side of the throttle spindle bearings. Not enough to affect the functionality of the bearings though. In order to go larger, we'd need to use a different throttle body to begin with.

1 mm = .0393"
3 mm = .1179"
5 mm = .1965"

I don't know of anybody that sells these plates, and although I don't know for sure, the throttle plates don't seem to be universal among different types of vehicles. The two holes that are in the throttle plate are not in the center of the plate, and it's slightly elliptically shaped, because it doesn't sit perpendicular to the bore, it's angled a few degrees. My assumption is that every manufacturer makes throttle plates with differently angled ellipses, and hole locations that may or may not be central to the plate.

1fast97, I have tried this myself, and although I can feel a small difference, I have no actual proof (dyno, 1/4 mile ET) yet. I'm not trying to sell these yet, just trying to gauge interest. I'm not going to spend $100+ on a dyno run, and $50 for a TB just to find out no one's interested. However, if the club shows interest, then I will at least make back-to-back runs at the 1/4 mile with both TB's to see how much of a gain there is. But thank you for your constructive criticism. :)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if I can get a total of 10 "yes" votes, I'll start making them

and I'll make a couple runs at the 1/4 mile to make sure there is a performance increase.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
A friend of mine sent his TB out to get bored out to 62mm on his gen 4 tec and according to his g-tech testing it took .08 seconds off his 1/4 e/t. That's almost a tenth, not too bad. I just wish somebody could find a bigger TB housing or something. It doesn't seem right that you can bolt a 75mm TB onto a focus, but the biggest we can get is 63mm.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not too sure there would be much more of an increase going over 65 mm anyway. Those 75mm TB for the Focus probably ends up making you lose some low end torque, that's way too big, unless you're bolting on a supercharger or turbo.

If anyone has information regarding other TB's, mustang etc. that have a IAC port in a similar location, I can look into modifying these to make them a direct bolt on too.

DOH......No IAC port.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33558

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you can get the 1/4 mile time in and the results are good, I'm sure atleast 2 more people willing to say they will pay $75 for the TB.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, I have a bid on a mustang 65 mm TB off of Ebay. If they are modifiable to bolt on to the Taurus, using a custom made spacer with an IAC port adapter that would that would plug into a tee adapter off of a vacuum line on the accordion tube. I'm then going to make a couple of runs with each TB stock 60 mm, 63 mm, 65 mm. And see if there's any performance increase between the three.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Isn't all the linkage for the Mustang TB on the opposite side as the Taurus TB??
Meaning you would have to flip it upside down or something :(

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Judging by the pic on Ebay above, it appears the linkage is on the same side for the 4.6 sohc. I guess I'll find out for sure when I get it in the mail.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Considering going to Lapeer Dragway in MI next Saturday (August 21, 2004) to test the 63 mm TB vs. 60 mm stock TB. Would any other forum members be willing to meet me there, to confirm ET's at the strip?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
:banana: Good news, I got the rear main and oil pan gasket fixed. Unfortunately, I'm temporarily dead broke. :( :( :(

On the bright side, I have a birthday coming up next month so I might be able to order one around September/October. :grin2:

Any news on the ebay TB?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The seller isn't responding to my e-mails regarding the 4.6 sohc TB, I think they wanted more than $9.99 for it. Oh well, guess I'll have to make another bid.

Good to hear you got your car fixed up.

I'm offering an open invite to anyone that would want to join me in Lapeer next Saturday August 21. I need someone to verify my results at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I was gonna buy one for about $70 but, when I asked the guy what side the linkage was on, he said the right (not correct) side and our linkage on the Duratec TB is on the left side of the TB.
But hopefully you can get it to work or else my guy was wrong.
I've been wanting one for a while now. With the CAI and larger MAf, it only makes sense to do the TB next.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts