Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While performing the G2 shifter mod w/ Nick, I had a chance to attack the light/fine scratches present on my gauge cluster and display from the radio. Now keep in mind, most wouldn't think anything of it, but my OCD was wearing away at me to try to see what I could do. You could only notice these scratches when the sun would shine from behind the car and onto the cluster. Swirl city.

I attacked the radio display using a MF towel and some Meguiar's PlastX. There was some difference, but I was far from satisfied with the result. Cleaned off any polishing oils/solvent w/ an IPA wipe down.

Next, I tried some Menzerna 106FF with the MF towel. This made a difference in the appearance, more so that PlastX. Cleaned off any polishing oils/solvent w/ an IPA wipe down. It looked good enough to me for a daily driver, so I moved onto the guage cluster.

I tried a test area with the same approach as before, with decent results, but there were still some RIDS (Random Isolated Deep Scratches) that were now much apparent. Sooo.... I tried some of Menzerna's new PO203 Power Finish with a MF towel. Amazingly it took out more of the RIDS AND left a beautiful finish. Being OCD I could have gone over the area with some Menzerna PO85, Micro Polish, but the surface looked so good that I didn't want to risk possibly ruining it.

I duplicated this process on the radio display with similar results. The guage cluster is so clear that you can't even tell this is a clear acrylic cover over the gauges, as if you could reach in and touch the needles.

As far as the radio display, it is now crystal clear. I put my fingers in front of it and get a clear reflection on my fingers/nails. Needless to say I was impressed!

Based on this application, 90% of RIDS on gauge cluster were removed and 95% on the radio display.

Figured I'd pass on the knowledge!!!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
It was impressive to watch the transformation in person, as each application of a product made quite a change on both the radio and the gauge cluster.

That car seriously looks brand new inside...not 101K.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This isn't the best photo, but the gauge cluster display looks pretty clear and the radio has something reflecting in the LCD display. But notice the lack of visible swirls in the radio's LCD display. This is one of the perfect angels were swirls would normally be visible to the eye. I posted this photo also in the "G2 Shifter Retrofit"

[attachment=29458:shifter_upgrade1.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
:lol2:
RIDS! LOL! LMAO! Thats HOT!
I seriously shot a fruit loop outta my nose laughing! (I will never be able to eat cereal and be on TCCA at the same time ever again)I have a bit OCD too, but that is awesome!

On a serious note ( though my nose still hurts a bit and everything smells like fruit-loop-milk) where did you get the product that you used?
The outcome looks amazing!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (ragjungle @ May 10 2009, 03:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724092
I seriously shot a fruit loop outta my nose laughing! (I will never be able to eat cereal and be on TCCA at the same time ever again)I have a bit OCD too, but that is awesome!

On a serious note ( though my nose still hurts a bit and everything smells like fruit-loop-milk) where did you get the product that you used?
The outcome looks amazing![/b]
RIDS = Random Isolated Deep scratches. I never knew this was that amusing, but who am I to judge?

·
Registered
151 Posts
QUOTE (michakaveli @ May 10 2009, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724099

RIDS = Random Isolated Deep scratches. I never knew this was that amusing, but who am I to judge?
[/b][/quote]
Not a jab at you- I just never heard the technical name for it - I dint know there was a technical name for it so when I heard it it struck me off gaurd. So Will you share where you got the product?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (ragjungle @ May 10 2009, 04:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724104
QUOTE (michakaveli @ May 10 2009, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724099

[/b][/quote]
Not a jab at you- I just never heard the technical name for it - I dint know there was a technical name for it so when I heard it it struck me off gaurd. So Will you share where you got the product?
[/b][/quote]

Ahhhhh.

I don't remember the exact online retailer from whom I purchased the Menzerna Power Finish 203, but it's available at most online detailing resellers. I know AutoGeek.net, DetailersDomain.com and DetailedImage.com carry this for starters...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts