Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if police scanners in cars are legal in the state of NY? I know radar detectors are legal as I was told that by a state trooper. Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
pretty much thats what it is, in most states, they are legal, but sometimes cops get anoyyed if they see u have one. as long as ur not like "officer, how did u catch me? i had my radar detector and my police scanner on"

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"officer, how did u catch me? i had my radar detector and my police scanner on"[/b]
:pointlaugh:

I basically want it to know where accidents are and where the cops are. I have a radar detector alreadyy that works really well.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
very illegal but find an old cop car that is wrecked or go down south and find a parts dealer i bet theyve got em. Thats how Carry got his, and his siren lol. Its soo damn funny to see him use it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by 95FORDT@Apr 21 2004, 06:52 PM
very illegal but find an old cop car that is wrecked or go down south and find a parts dealer i bet theyve got em. Thats how Carry got his, and his siren lol. Its soo damn funny to see him use it.
Very illegal? I don't think so. A scanner is just a receiver. No transmitting involved. I know they are legal here in PA and would be surprised to find out otherwise anywhere else.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've never read anything about them being illegal anywhere. Anywhere except Canada that is. In Canada they are legal but not when committing a crime. I wonder if speeding is considered a crime?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got a scanner. When I bought it, I was pretty disappointed with it, mainly because there really isn't a lot to pick up in my area. I've had it on some nights for an hour and hear nothing at all. Other nights I'll hear a few things, but usually it's a whole lotta nothing. I wouldn't recommend getting one unless a lot of excitement happens in your area.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
As far as I know the ones cops carry are modified and have a diffferent channel encoding or something, but I know nothing about these thigns.

J

·
0 Posts
AFAIK the ones that cops use have some kind of special chip in them that allow them to transmit on that frequency, but I'm not sure.

My grandpa has always had a scanner in his car and in his house - they are legal in Ohio.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the replies!!

Now another question, what is the best, and I do mean the absolute best, scanner I can get for my car?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600+Apr 21 2004, 07:04 PM-->QUOTE (dIESEL600 @ Apr 21 2004, 07:04 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-95FORDT
@Apr 21 2004, 06:52 PM
Very illegal? I don't think so. A scanner is just a receiver. No transmitting involved. I know they are legal here in PA and would be surprised to find out otherwise anywhere else. [/b]
A scanner's legality varies from state to state. Some states let you use them in vehicles. Some states do not. Some states allow them in vehicles if and only if you have a special licence or you are an Amateur radio operator (HAM). Always check with your state before using one in a car.

Scanner laws differ between Canada and the US. In Canada we can use them wherever we want as long as we do not use what we hear for personal gain and we do not divulge what we hear to anyone else. In the US, listening to cell phones is illegal. Scanners sold (and/or used?) in the US must not be able to monitor cell phones and they must not be able to be easily modified to do so. In Canada we can listen to cell phones all we want. Some of the newer scanners can receive digital trunking system radio systems but you have to be an Amateur radio operator to buy one.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Apr 20 2004, 07:43 PM
Isn't a police scanner a CB radio w/o the microphone?
No. Most scanners can receive CB radio (and its newer Family Radio Service successor) but a scanner cannot transmit. I don't know of ANY police forces that use CB and/or FRS as their main radio system.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by 95FORDT@Apr 21 2004, 06:52 PM
I refuse to believe any police force would leave current radio equipment in any of its old or junked vehicles.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by 95FORDT@Apr 22 2004, 06:08 AM
As far as I know the ones cops carry are modified and have a diffferent channel encoding or something, but I know nothing about these thigns.
Cops are very unlikely to carry scanners. They don't need them. They carry two-way radios.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by mth676@Apr 22 2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all of the replies!!

Now another question, what is the best, and I do mean the absolute best, scanner I can get for my car?
I would have to know what radio systems the police in your area used in order to suggest a scanner to you.

Most police forces these days use trunking radio systems. You cannot use a regular scanner to receive these systems. You need a trunk tracking scanner. Most trunk tracking scanners can now receive the majority of trunk radio systems as long as the actual voice transmission is in analogue format. Some forces transmit voice in digital format and some transmit in digital format combined with encryption.

Smaller police forces may not be using trunking systems. This means you can purchase a relatively cheap scanner. Non trunked system can also transmit digital and/or encrypted signals.

I see you are in Phoenix, NY. I was not able to find much information on the net regarding your local police. Are you serviced by local/city/county/state forces?

Follow this link NY State freqs and search for police in your county. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
My stepdad was a cop and we had our Cobra scanner tweaked so we could here anything that was going on. I beleive in South Carolina it was illegal to have a scanner in the vehical...probably for that reason.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I travel all over the state, so I see pretty much any type of cops there is in this state. Hope that helps. Is there a scanner that can pick up pretty much any type of police transmissions? That is what I am really looking for.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
In Indiana the are illegal in a motor vehicle. In Illinois it is illegal to monitor the police in a motor vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts