Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Lucas -

Nice ex-cop car - dig those "dog dish" hubcaps :D anyway I noticed in the interior pic that the seats are joined in the middle. Did you replace those seats or those the originals?

I'd expected Ford to have done something like what is done to the Crown Vic Police package in split the seats to make room for radio, light bar controls, radar unit, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The split seats were an option in 1993, and standard in 1994 and 1995. The seats in Lucas' car are indeed the originals.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@Oct 4 2004, 11:27 AM
The split seats were an option in 1993, and standard in 1994 and 1995. The seats in Lucas' car are indeed the originals.
WERD! lol

Yea the split bench are the originals. Hamal would know because it used to be his car lol. All credit on this car goes to Hamal, I've havent done anything to it.... yet ;)

MY list of mods:

(In famous Tom form): The Broken Foglamp to Non-Broken Foglamp mod

A good cleaning

Destroying the Tranny (Work in progess)

I don't even drive her hard, shes just slowly giving it up, but fear not fellow TCCAer's, this car will not see the junkyard anytime in the near future. Some people know the plans I have for this car, but it takes time, money, and willingness of mother dearest, seeing as she is the primary driver as of right now. Only time will tell the plans for this car, but the Junkyard is definitely NOT an option. :D

Long Live the Police Package!

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by MaltaTaurus69@Oct 4 2004, 10:31 PM
(In famous Tom form): The Broken Foglamp to Non-Broken Foglamp mod
:lol: New avatar for me!

Hamal knew what he was doing with that thing.... it's a tank. M1A2's have been known to pull their young off the streets when it goes by because it's a bad influence.

·
Registered
959 Posts
My question is where did Hamal find the damn thing originally?!?! I've noticed the load weight tag inside my rear passenger door, and it DOES list polic models, but we never, ever had Taurii used as a cop cars up here... our po-po's went from the Caprice Classic LEM (Law Enforcement Model) version to the Crown Vic's, and now they've upgraded to the latest version of the Crown Vic's, although I've heard that the Southside Division here now has a '04 Mustang done up to catch ricers on the strip by the University... hehe.

Stupid ricers... hehe.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Some police departments don't use the Taurus cop car because they probably hate FWD. FWD isn't exactly a good application for a cop car. But if they were on a budget, a Taurus po-po wouldn't be too bad since it owned the Lumina and Intrepid at the time. I also hear it can outrun the 351ci LTD and 350ci Caprice.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I have read that the Taurus Po-Po cars were pretty quick in thier day.

My father saw a Taurus police car still in service this summer. He was in North Carloina. Said it looked to still be in decent condition on the outside...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by EDIII@Oct 9 2004, 06:04 PM
I have read that the Taurus Po-Po cars were pretty quick in thier day.

My father saw a Taurus police car still in service this summer. He was in North Carloina. Said it looked to still be in decent condition on the outside...
Still are pretty quick! :banana:

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Still quick nearing 175k :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Spragers: mine is an esentially stock V6 3.0L GL with ~315,000k on it, and it's still quick too... original engine, to boot!

Rubix: Actually, I haven't seen it yet... there's been a couple of fairly notable chases on the freeways here the last 2 weeks or so, and I guess the 'stang et tapped along with the cop chopper for them... although there's apparently a pair of traffic section constables that'll rip up any speeding ticket they right if you can beat their souped up po-po-mobile on a quarter mile with your car... but I haven't heard of anyone that has yet... the car must be streetable, and I doubt that the po-po-mobile is...

Qwertz: I heard that Gen1's had problems against the Chevy 305i Caprice Classic cop cars... overbored small block with a big 4 barrel, a heavy duty tranny and a big rear diff, and a tight freeflow exhaust... but I've only seen one surplussed 305i, and that was 10 years ago, so I don't even know how realistic that story is.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I saw a pair of Gen IV police cars the other day on the way to my daughters school. I haven't seen any others ever, but it got me thinking what upgrades they had over factory, or if they just slapped some paint and lights on them. Anyone know?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Here in the city of Fall River, MA the Police Dept. just purchased several Gen4 Police Cruisers for use on "The AVE" (the cruising strip) some are painted black and white like their Crown Vics and a few are unmarked tan in color with Mass Plates. It's all part of the cities plan to try to stop drag racing etc... along with some camera's.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
The Gen 2's were the last Taurus cop cars produced by Ford in terms of an actual police-level "package" - newer Taurus cop cars are basically just stock bulls with light bars, but I think they look fine that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my local county has a genIV cop car but it does look like a stock one with a light bar, i think it has a vulcan too if i remember right.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by spragers@Oct 10 2004, 12:20 PM
The Gen 2's were the last Taurus cop cars produced by Ford in terms of an actual police-level "package" - newer Taurus cop cars are basically just stock bulls with light bars, but I think they look fine that way.
The City of Davenport, Iowa had a whole fleet of Gen1/Gen2 Bulls for their police department. As of 2002 many of them were still around in reduced service being driven by city employees like water department, building inspectors, etc.

Marion County and City of Indianapolis have a fleet of Gen4's as unmarked police cars, supplementing the Crown Vic fleet. The present issue city employee cars for various departments is a Gen4 flexible fuel. Fella in my apt complex has one parked outside that he gets to bring home.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by Trikt@Oct 9 2004, 09:51 PM
although there's apparently a pair of traffic section constables that'll rip up any speeding ticket they right if you can beat their souped up po-po-mobile on a quarter mile with your car...
we had an officer that used to drive the DARE camaro who would to that..... pull someone over and tell em they'd get off if they could beat him to the county line, about a mile down the road....

I saw a pair of Gen IV police cars the other day
I saw a gen3 sable with a lightbar and flashers on friday out in independence...
they look nice....

·
Registered
959 Posts
Actually, I saw a semi-opaque red plastic skull with a flashing light inside... I was gonna grab it for my boss so he could throw it on the dash of his crew truck, like a button cherry... he thought it was hysterical...

Maybe I'll grab it for myself... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts