Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know i have had it explained to me once before but what is the diff between the police 3.8 and the normal 3.8 just asking cause i have a 92 police and a 91 LX and i was trying to figure out if it is worth swaping (after top end rebuild on the police) any help with this would be cool

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Police engines used special heads with an open combustion chamber vs the regular 3.8L heart shaped chamber.

The police heads use a larger exhaust valve, so the intake to exhaust flow ratio is a little better balanced.

Because of the open chamber design, the police package pistons are also different. They have a .060" dish in them, versus the .125" dish on the regular pistons.

The cam is the same, but the EEC programming is slightly different, main difference being no top speed limiter.

Intake/exhaust manifolds are the same, same cats, but different cat-back systems.

Some sources say the transmissions are different, some don't mention it, so I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Some sources say the transmissions are different, some don't mention it, so I'm not sure.
Not sure if it's true or not, but I recently passed 175k on my original police package tranny... :05:

·
Registered
470 Posts
The Tranny's are slightly different, that is the problem with Vanessa. She doesnt have any torque converter lockup. Vanessa is a police essex running a normal essex tranny, dont matter though :D Still fun

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The police 3.8L has the following modifications over the pedestrian 3.8L:

- Extra block webbing for added strength
- Open chamber head design
- Modified cam profile (longer exhaust duration) (or so I thought... Jeramie?)
- Water to Oil engine oil cooler.
- Windage tray
- Reenforced bell housing
- 21# injectord vs. 14# injectors (1994 and 1995 only. Lucas, you have a 1995 engine with 14# injectors so the computer would stop freaking out.)
- 130A Alternator
- Power steering cooler.
- HD (by Taurus Standards, anyway) Transmission Cooler

- Transmission:

The police 3.8L used an AX4S, however, it was a different model than what the pedestrian 3.8L used. In Lucas' case, he should have a model PNA-EM, however, he has a standard model, which because of the different final drive ratios, won't allow TC lockup. The standerd 3.8L had a final drive of 3.19:1, where the police 3.8L has a final drive of 3.37:1, which is the same as the Vulcan's final drive.

- Suspension and Braking:

- 24/26mm sway bars.
- Police spec springs and struts.
- All wheel disc ABS

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Good info!

Hmmm, I read somewhere that there were only 3 different cams used in 89-95.

The 89 5 speed thunderbird SC's used a unique camshaft profile.

The 94-95 Thunderbird SC's used a reverse pattern cam to cut back the power the new gen II supercharger made.

And all 89 automatics and 90-93 5 speeds AND autos (FWD and RWD, SC and non SC) used the same profile cam.

Maybe they didn't take the police package into consideration?

Here's some other info I found out that might be useful.

The 3.8L Lincoln continentals used the police engine and trans.
The 1995 windstar used the police package engine and trans also.

Ford and no aftermarket place (except custom piston manufacturers) produces the correct police package pistons anymore.. If you rebuild a police engine you will have to use the regular 3.8L pistons, which will lower your compression ratio to the 8.5:1 range if you use the same open chamber heads.

Jeramie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so my 92 police essex is better then my 91 norm essex got it now i plan to do a top end rebuild what kinda parts can i use?? like can i use a performance cam for a 3.8 mustang or thunferbird? if not, why? also will my 92 police computer run all the electrics in my 91 LX?(i.e. digital dash keyless entry)

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
not sure on the electrics swap, but yes, you can use any mustang 3.8L/t-bird camshaft..

Jeramie

G

·
Originally posted by 95SE@May 14 2004, 10:55 AM
The 3.8L Lincoln continentals used the police engine and trans.
See.. that's why I said the 3.8 Conti should be added to the TCCA.. it's the same car ..the body is just a little roomier... But as my Sig says..or atleast implies.. my lincoln is faster then my SHO.

G

·
Originally posted by Mat_D@May 14 2004, 07:21 PM
will my 92 police computer run all the electrics in my 91 LX?(i.e. digital dash keyless entry)
The keyless entry is controlled by the keyless entry controller that can be found in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
See.. that's why I said the 3.8 Conti should be added to the TCCA..
Hell Yea! The Lincoln Mark VIII is very similar to the T-bird/Cougar and the TCCoA (Thunderbird and Cougar Club of America) includes them..

Jeramie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi friends !!!

The speedometer of '91 Police Package (3.8 Essex) is the same from the normal (civilian) Taurus ? I saw here in Brazil one Taurus '91 3.8 Essex for sale that looks a Police Package. Speedometer up to 220km/h, same front grille from Police Package and no power windows. Currently its color is silver, but he was painted. Its original color was black.

Link below:
MercadoLivre: VENDO FORD TAURUS - R$ 7800.00

I am thinking in to buy to make an police package....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.