Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone spoken to a Ford Dealership to find out if the DPFE sensor is an upgrade or is it the same one that went bad in the first place?

I am getting tired of clearing codes every couple of weeks but I don't want to stick the same part in there and have it go bad too.

My 99 and 00 keep throwing the same code

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I replaced mine @ 40k and the car now has 85k and the sensor is fine. I think they redesigned the sensor, because there was a silent recall on it.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Mine went bad on my taurus, and I replaced it (something like 30k miles ago). It just went bad on our Explorer, and I replaced it and everythings fine. If your car has at least lower than 60k miles, it'll be covered by emissions warrenties, with some states offering 80k mile warrenties or up to 100k.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by mwt@Jul 6 2004, 09:23 PM
Has anyone spoken to a Ford Dealership to find out if the DPFE sensor is an upgrade or is it the same one that went bad in the first place?

I am getting tired of clearing codes every couple of weeks but I don't want to stick the same part in there and have it go bad too.

My 99 and 00 keep throwing the same code

Mike
B)
I actually spoke with my local ford stealership's service dept during lunch today and they said that there was a specific batch of the DPFE sensors that were manufactured defectively and that only the ones from that batch were causing the problems.

They also said that if you were to get it replaced with one of the DPFE sensors they have/stock/manufacture now you shouldn't have the problem again. Which looks to be the case from what some of the others have said about their's being trouble free after +40K miles after replacement. Hope that answers your question.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info.

In one of the other posts about this problem someone said they got their at AutoZone or some other parts store.

I called 2 different Autozone's and 2 Oreilly's and none of them had a clue as to what I was talking about. Is it a dealer only item?

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
i dont believe it was a bad batch as i work on taurii all the time at work, and a good percentage have chek engine lights (gen 3/4) usually i pull my flasher out of my trunk and read the codes to be nice. and quite a few times i find it is the dpfe sensor....so unless the batch was large enough to cover about 6 years of cars, i think its a load of crap. (plus a few contours run into the same issue as the 2.5l and SVT and cougar use the same thing. The problem seems to be more prominant on the 3.0l models)

Brad

B

·
0 Posts
An easy way to tell if it's a different design is look at the part number on yours, and compare it to the one the dealer has. If it's a resesign, it should be the same part number, with the last letters being different. For example, yours has AA as the last letters, and the new one has AB. That means it's a revision B part, and was redesigned.

Also, Autozone calls them "egr valve pressure sensors". :)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Jul 8 2004, 09:15 PM

Also, Autozone calls them "egr valve pressure sensors". :)
:notworthy:

Thanks Bob

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jul 8 2004, 09:51 PM
i dont believe it was a bad batch as i work on taurii all the time at work, and a good percentage have chek engine lights (gen 3/4) usually i pull my flasher out of my trunk and read the codes to be nice. and quite a few times i find it is the dpfe sensor....so unless the batch was large enough to cover about 6 years of cars, i think its a load of crap. (plus a few contours run into the same issue as the 2.5l and SVT and cougar use the same thing. The problem seems to be more prominant on the 3.0l models) 

Brad
Why does that not surprise me that the stealership was :bs: ing me :angry:

Oh well, i don't know why i even try to ask them questions anymore since it seems like every time i ask them something i get lied to.

And as Bob said Autozone calls them "egr valve pressure sensors". The first time i called them asking for a DPFE sensor they were clueless also. I had found a webpage on about.com IIRC about the DPFE sensor and it said they were also referred to as "EGR valve pressure sensors" so tried that at AZ and they knew what that was. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
The must frustrating thing that annoys me with my dealership is how they are so condecending about any aftermarket parts on your car. They A) try to blame any problems on aftermarket parts and B) Make comments about it when they don't. in fact, I feel like bitching about it, so I'll head to the debate forum right quick...

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This weekend I called 2 Auto Zones, 2 Pep Boys and 2 O'reilly's

and asked for a EGR Pressure sensor.

The only one that new what I was talking about was one of the Pep Boy's guys and it wasn't available to him.

Ford wants $80.00 For it.

has anyone ever actually bought one from a parts store for a GenIV Duratec?

If it is available out there for $30.00 It would gripe me to the bone to buy it from Ford for $80.00

Mike
B)

PS I haven't checked online because I need it this week

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks,

I tracked it down and it says it is not yet available for a 2000.

I will call the dealer tomorrow to see if it changed between years or if it is the same.

Thanks

Mike
B)

·
Registered
154 Posts
98 Duratec 24 v DOHC w/ 120,000 and p401. Was going to clean the port on the intake, should I just due the DPFE while I have it apart? Or am I just throwning parts needlessly at codes? Alredy changed EGR Valve, that's not it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If it's just the 401 code, then yes try cleaning the intake/throttle body EGR passages and that may do it.

·
Registered
22,986 Posts
With eng. idling, remove vac. hose from egr valve and replace with a piece of scrap vac. hose. Suck on open end of sample hose opening valve and egr flow to the intake. Eng. should stumble or die signalling valve is operating properly and channel is open enough to allow egr flow to the intake. Remember, there should be no egr flow at idle or wot (wide open throttle). If eng. doesnt bog down, channel is plugged with oily carbon deposits since youve already replaced the egr valve. Egr channel to intake is behind the tb gasket (c-shaped, open to egr valve at top left with 3 notches at bottom of intake). If after cleaning the passageway, you decide to replace the dpfe (i would), get the borg-warner one from adv. auto or oreilly. Part# egr155. Tb (throttle body) needs to be removed (if not the uim) to access the dpfe on a gen3 tec anyway. Use long skinny screwdriver, baling wire and tb spray to clean passageway.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
You know, this is supposedly a common problem, but I've never encountered that code or problem on mine. I suppose there are many variables that play into this, but I don't think the original Ford part failed so much as outside conditions destroyed it. My guess is that the vehicle starts running richer than it should producing carbon build up, which then either plugs the passages or damages the sensor itself. I would consider that if you are having DPFE issues, that the O2 sensor might need to be replaced if it hasn't been done in the last 80,000 miles. A failing O2 sensor will probably not set any codes, but if the LTFT is greater than +3%, chances are the sensor is in its early stages of failure and is wasting fuel and causing excessive carbon deposits. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
22,986 Posts
Khan, you may be on to something. Out of the 5 gen3 tecs i have, only 1, a 98 sable has been po401 trouble free. It still has the original metal dpfe and approaching 200k mi. I take that back. A 99 taurus with 230k remains intact and untouched also.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I remember reading a post in a Ford forum (somewhere) by a guy who was one of the engineers for the company who made the 90's DPFE sensors for Ford. He said Ford made them the scapegoat, claiming excessive part failures when in reality it was Ford's bad system design that caused carbon and water buildup. based on my own experience I think he was right. GM's system (a simple pintle position sensor built into the EGR valve) meets EPA requirements and is so much simpler and less trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts