Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Ford Taurus and i am trying to get my heater to work. I have flushed my heater hoses and heater core, replaced my heater hoses and heater core, blend door actuator works fine. Im at my wits end and tired of freezing every time i have to drive this car. Plz help

·
Registered
405 Posts
Is your water pump working? There was a post a while back with the same issue, the OP pulled the water pump and found the vanes had corroded to the point where it essentially wasn't pumping.. Also, if your thermostat is stuck open or rated too low you won't build much heat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The next thing im checking is the water pump. I do know that heat is getting to the heater core. the first hose is hot but the second is cold. the thermostat was replaced bout a year ago but i will try to c if it is rated too low thanks any other help would be great!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will a broken water pump mess with the heat. The hose that comes from the heater core to the water pump is cold. Dont know if the water pump might be messing with it or not. dont know if it is relivant but last summer the car was overheating when it was idling. i flushed the radiator and put in a new thermostat and the problem went away. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes plenty of corrosion. but my engine cools just fine. dont know if there maybe a clog in it or if there isn't alot of pressure to pull the water through the heater core. can u give me a link on how to replace or test the water pump.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/137639-97-vulcan-water-pump-replacement.html

As previously stated, these pumps are known to have the impeller rot to nothing. If it hasn't been replaced, it should be done now. It has caused many blown head gaskets, these engines can't taken running hot and once it gets bad enough to do that, you'll end up with a blown head gasket or cracked head. Even if the pump ends up being in alright shape, at least you know. I would try replacing the water pump and tstat, then go from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thankyou. i was told that my thermo might be under rated or over rated. what is a good rating. Its a 98 ford taurus v6 overhead valve

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a '98 and had the same problem in 2008. Believe it or not I now have the same problem again, and I highly suspect it is the same problem. I guess I should have used some rust inhibitor or something, but anti-freeze is totally rust colored so I suspect my water pump impellers are gone again, but I'm surprised it could happen so quickly. I'm just going to wear gloves in my car until the weather warms up.

Anyway, here is the thread where I detailed everything I did trying to track down my no heat problem and what it was. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of it being the water pump until you try other things, but certainly it was my problem in '08. It was also no fun to replace the water pump either.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/140134-98-taurus-another-no-heat-loss.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the info. i printed out your instructions. Im tackling it tonight hopefully i can have it finished before i drive an hour to camus with no heat again. it sucks because we just got snow and its about 18 at night. oh well im hoping the heater core was the hardest thing i will ever have to do on this vehicle or any other one for that matter

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
thanks for the info. i printed out your instructions. Im tackling it tonight hopefully i can have it finished before i drive an hour to camus with no heat again. it sucks because we just got snow and its about 18 at night. oh well im hoping the heater core was the hardest thing i will ever have to do on this vehicle or any other one for that matter
Be prepared to replace the tensioner pulley and idler pulley. You might even have to replace the entire tensioner, they don't seem to last forever. Might as well get a new belt while you're at it. You need a torx socket to remove the tensioner assembly, should you need to replace it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok. i got the water pump off. the inside looks a little thin but nothin like everyone else has explained; however, when i turned the pully it was really loose. im working on putting everything back together. its slow going because its about 1:25 in the morning and im freezing my stuff off. Could this little bit of corosion and loose pully be my heating problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like a major pain.

My experiences with water pumps in the past are there are two typical signs of failure, 1) they leak; 2) the pulley rocks up and down.

I would definitely replace it if the pulley on the water pump is rocking

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. Got everything put back together still no HEAT!!! any other ideas. now that my water pump is new my temperature gauge is lower than normal. Im going to replace the thermostat even though it is not even a year old though. After that im out of ideas.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Ok. Got everything put back together still no HEAT!!! any other ideas. now that my water pump is new my temperature gauge is lower than normal. Im going to replace the thermostat even though it is not even a year old though. After that im out of ideas.
If the tstat doesn't fix it, I would start checking the rear plumbing for blockages, possibly even back flush the heater core to make sure it does flow. After that, I'm out of ideas. Is there any chance you damaged a door or something while putting it back together? You've indicated that the actuator works, so we can rule that out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts