Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a bit new here just having tranny probs so I started a thread in hope of some usefully insight,

Long story short I have a 2003 taurus wagon less then 100k on it in pretty good conditions still, had it for 3 years (not sure the exact engine, can find if needed) however 4 months ago, after a flat and an unfortunate event(dont ask lolz) the E-brake going to the drivers side rear tire was cut with bolt cutters. It was already in need of some attention so we decided to give it all around new brakes, tires, and oil change, after which the car was running fine, the ebrake being cut didn't seem to cause any harm so the car was drove without repairing it.

3 days after the repairs, driving though the night a deer jumped into the road, locked up the brakes, didnt hit the deer, all seemed well, but upon accelerating the car seemed to have magicly lost all gears... It kept on rolling but acted as if the car was in neutral, no gears worked at all. I am not a mechanic but after some googling, my first go to was the tourque converter, but my buddy had a 03 taurus with the same tranny(ax4n aka 4F50N) with a seized engine, he offered it to me for 300 n seeing that I had the same car it would be wise to get a parts car I figured. So I bought it, just in case the torque converter wasnt to prob, I would have a cheap tranny on back up. Since I now had a spare tranny on hand, I took the tranny outa the parts car , bought a tourque converter from a used parts garage, ** NOTE The tourque converor they sold me had all the pump teeth, BUT it had some obiviously shaved points on the inside of the lip, However, the machanic their told me the chipping on the inside didnt matter, only the out side of the lip as it keeps pressure with the seal, the out side was smooth and he put air pressure on it and it held** , I intalled the reused tranny from my parts car, and the garage's tourque converter, filled it with fresh fluid, and started it up............ Still nothing!!(the vehicle sound as if it going into gear, the idle chages as I shift into drive, but its almost as if their is no compression, it doesn't move an inch)
Evidently in my many experiments, when i jacked the front end and when put it in reverse the tires softly spun, idk what this means but once i set it back down its not strong enough to move the vehicles weight at all(not sure if that is at all usfull but just a note Lolz). After I get off work i spend my nights pulling the engine out the top and dropping the sub frame/tranny out the bottom with wrenches n ratchets, a week later I get it finshed and still no fix so I was kinda getting disappointed to be honest, but after it sat in my garage for a few days I realized that all the fluid had seeped from the tranny, and it wasn't from either axle points, nor from filter pan, so I stupidly figured it must be the reused tranny I installed from my parts car. So I spend the next 2days(it was way easier the second time around lolz) doing another swap, put the original tranny, and the garage's tourque converter in, filled it up with fluid and fired it up.... Still nothing!! A few days later, all my flesh fluid is drained agian馃槨, (I should have tried catching it, but I fighered the old tranny wouldn't leak)... So im back to square one, 3k in the hole with repairs and still no car馃槶

Now I know I probobly should have replaced the filter, filter pan seal, and torque converter seal since I woke on the tranny, buuttttt I'm quite sure the filter on both trannys wasn't clogged, an while it may need done soon, it isn't the problem. The tourque convertor seal?? It didn't appear to be damaged but it is slightly possible.

Now my buddy told me of a test wherein a bolt from the top of the tranny is removed to see if fluid gushes from the hole, if it does then it means your torque converter is turning the pump (that's how I understood it from what a friend told me at least),...... now I know I should have done this test "first things first" but I only recently heard of this test, and I can't afford to fill it with fluid only to have it leak(from the tourque converter seal i now believe) on the floor again, so this is the only known test to me I havnt completed on this vehicle..

The transmission light is on(from low fluid I now suppose) and a few years back I bought a cheap code reader from my friend so I snaped it on......., but it threw no codes. However I'm pretty sure I need a more advanced tool to read more than obd codes. As well I read it could take the engine heating up fully and the tranny failing 5 separate times before with will throw a obd code in somecases... I was afraid of hurting the tranny so I never ran it longer then a minute or 2 since its been broke down. Should I have let it run longer/shifted it more to thow a code? Is it safe to run it longer in its current state to get it to thow codes??(after I put fluid in it of course). I'm open to ideas!馃檹

Also I saw a video on YouTube, saying its very possibly for the pmc to get stuck in between gears(n/r is the video's case)...................... Guys I'm not a mechanic!! doing this swap and investing in all kindsa tools was deep enough for me... I can't replace a pcm I don't have the equipment or knowledge for this,馃槫馃槶

I am not taking it apart again unless I know the problem or a 4 sure diagnosis!! Lolz

All things aside the way I see it is, it would be ideal to replace the tourque converter and seal, and fill it up AGAIN and hope for the best............... And if that didn't, work give it to a shop to replace the pcm, ...... I AM NOT spending more then $300 more on this car, for all I care I will throw it in the scrap yard if its the pcm. As the bill to get it towed to a shop from here would be 300+ alone.

Soooooo I am begging someone for a little help, just give me a diagnosis plzzz or tell me a way to diagnose it myself, i just want to be sure I got a dud tourque convertor b4 i spend another dime on it.

Any help/suggestions would be amazing!!, i have bought a beater to get me to and from work, but I'd REALLY like to get this taurus fixed up. Anyway I could rent a tool to read the powertrain control module to check if its suck in btwn gears??? Or a reset of some kind to make the trany throw me a code??? Id at least like to know the problem so I have somthing to go on.

Thanks 4 any help all!:)
ps, the pump splines on both trannys where good

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
We really need to know what codes have been thrown to accurately help you.
[Ok cool, is their a tool I can get to pull tranny codes? Is their a specific kind of code I need to pull? Thanks for the response btw,

Registered
Dude! I had a 2000 with the same trans, same problem... no matter what gear ur in, it feels/acts like neutral! Mine sat for a year, while I drove my truck and gathered intel... long story short, that tranny is well known as being pretty bulletproof... except for the converter! The teeth strip out in it so you lose ur fluid pump... = NO DRIVE. So I come to find out that the converter is relatively cheap... its all the labor of either pulling the motor from the top, or dropping the trans, just to get to it... I was told, $1,800 - 2,400 almost all labor. I'm a shadetree from waaay back, so I yanked the engine from the top...(figured I'd clean it up throw a lick of paint on it and clean up the compartment to boot! Btw, I found out later its way faster/easier to do from the bottom!) But, whats done is done... Eng hoist was only $7 /day, the NEW, UPGRADED converter was only $75 bucks!! (So I'm cringing, reading u bought a USED, VERY IFFY sounding converter, from a mechanic! Of all the ppl to screw you.... :mad: Him knowing the amt of wk involved in replacing that thing, and he chose to make a few bucks on u instead if telling u to buy it new, they're not that much? Btw... if he's such a great mechanic... didn't he also tell u to replace the front seal while u had it exposed? Another $10 -12 bucks and 10 mins of ur life to chg it out!?!? Furthermore, did he also recommend changing the filter and fluid while u were at it? If not, find yourself a new mechanic that's worth a damn... If I went thru all that labor and expense and my car didn't move when I was done?I'd have had some choice words for that dude, at the very least, if you catch my drift! I did all of the above, and was thrilled when I fired it up and put it in drive, and she started rolling forward! What a thrill! Drove it for 5 yrs, no troubles until some frigin millenial chick, texting and driving, T-boned me and totaled both our cars!! But I digress... I would give it one last college try... with a NEW converter, a new seal, filter and fluid... see where that gets you... then clear ur codes, see what, if any, pop up then. I'd be willing to bet that'll get you back on the road again! Hope this helps you... this forum is a great resource/tool for Taurus/Sable owners, for sure! Its saved my bacon a few times!!! Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts