Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '98 duratec with 202,000 now with original wires and i am trying to get technical info. i measured two at random at the 2k setting on the ohm meter. one wire read 12.8 and the other 14.6. does anyone know the tolerances? i do not want to replace if not needed. thanks.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The rule of thumb is 1000 ohms/inch of length, 30,000 ohms max, no matter the length.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
That said, the wires should pretty much be replaced at least every 100,000 miles. If the wires are run too long, the EFI suppression start to break down, and the interference generated can cause false sensor readings and problems you didn't realize were caused by bad wires.

Replace with Motorcraft wires or Magnacore.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Or even worse the lack of electrical flow can overheat the coil packs, causing spark to jump to ground and cracking of the coil pack body. Definitely change the wires. I like Autolite Professional series for the price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
believe me, i've never went this long without changing wires. i bought the car at 60,000, changed the plugs at 100,000, 160,000 and now i am ready to do plugs again. if you look at the wires there are no cracks or splits anywhere except a little chew mark on one boot from our furry little friends. as a matter of fact this is the first time i even removed a wire from the coil pack. i was starting to get a little hesitation accelerating from 0-40. i suppose it is time. better to pay now than fry something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts