Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new nere to this forum. Have been to numerous Taurus forums-this one is pretty big!

My 2006 Taurus SE was bought used and I found out it never had the factory keyless entry system installed. Ford service department took the VIN and said it was deleted. So I have two possible options:

1) Can Ford install the deleted parts and make a factory keyless entry??
2) Either have it done or install an aftermarket keyless entry system myself.

If I do it myself it doesn't look too difficult. Downloaded a wiring diagram for my car but have a couple part location questions:

1) Need to know where the Smart Junction BOx (SJB) is loacted for a few wires??
2) Also need to know where the Generic Electronics Module (GEM) is located??

I've included a picture I took under my dash where I think they are. Anyone help me out??

[attachmentid=28406]

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi new here to this forum. Have been to numerous Taurus forums-this one is pretty big!

My 2006 Taurus SE was bought used and I found out it never had the factory keyless entry system installed. Ford service department took the VIN and said it was deleted. So I have two possible options:

1) Can Ford install the deleted parts and make a factory keyless entry??
2) Either have it done or install an aftermarket keyless entry system myself.

If I do it myself it doesn't look too difficult. Downloaded a wiring diagram for my car but have a couple part location questions:

1) Need to know where the Smart Junction Box (SJB) is loacted for a few wires??
2) Also need to know where the Generic Electronics Module (GEM) is located??

I've included a picture I took under my dash where I think they are. Anyone help me out??

[attachmentid=28406]

Sorry about the double post--not sure what happened. Can't see any way to delete one, but one of the admins can if they choose!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
GEM is behind the inside fuse box The three plugs on the bottom of the fuse box are for the GEM.

The smart box is under the hood by the battery I think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mods for combining the posts. Somehow when combined the picture was left out so I edited and added it in. Hope that helps with location of GEM and SJB!

What are the three light colored plastic covers on the left side of the picture that have a bolt holding them on??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added another picture. So the cables running to the bottom of the fuse panel are for the GEM wiring??

Still haven't figured out where the Smart Junction Box is located. THought it might be those 3 plastic covers with all the wires running to it.

[attachmentid=28414]

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SHOZ123,
Still unclear to me if the SJB is the whole fuse panel assembly or what!! I had downloaded a listing similar to what you posted for the ModifiedLife link for my 2006 Taurus pertaining to installing a keyless entry system. The wiring designations for some said "GEM 26 Pin Plug Pin 5 and SJB Bottom or Top Plug Pin 22. I couldn't figure out where to find these. But I figured it out as I took a trouble light out in my garage to trace these wires and found the locations. The references to the GEM 26 Pin Plug is the center plug of the 3 connectors at the bottom of the fuse panel. The references to the SJB Top and Bottom Plugs are the 3 connectors on the left side of the fuse panel held on by a bolt. The wire colors listed in the downloaded diagram matched up perfrectly with what I found under my dash! Sorry about my stupidity--should have gone out and did some invetigational work on my own!! :mj_banana:

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts