Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been a member for a while now but this is my first post. So, Hi to all. Any way, I have this horrible squeeling noise from my 01 SES. Has anyone had this problem? It sounds like it's coming from the intake area. I know that it's not the belts or pullys because I replaced them all today. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. And by the way, GR8 Site.

PS, I hit 50,000 miles today on the way home from the shop...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i to get an occaisional squeak when i accelerate REALLY hard. it sometimes makes a short squeak in the upper rpm's during gear change (its an automatic) or right before or right after, i dont really remember. but it's something ive never heard a car do before, it almost sounds like its gasping for air, but im positive tahts nto the case.
anyway hotwater, i would suggest a belt, as many cars squeal horrifically when the a/c is on, but since you replaced belts that aint it. perhaps you have the same squeak as the one my car sometimes does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You may have replaced the pulleys, but the units the pulleys are mounted on would be the item squeaking - water pump, alternator, a/c compressor, power steering pump...sounds like somethings getting ready to seize. Either that or your belts are too loose on there.

PS I'm new too, hi all,

Aaron

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the belt is good and has a good amount of tension on it. Also, the sound does not sound like it's coming from there. It sounds like its coming from the intake manifold area. I know that this sounds crazy but it sounds like I have a bird stuck in my intake and every now and then it gives a big yelp like something just squeazed it. lol. This is driving me crazy. I am stationed in Germany and I'm afraid to put the car back on the autobahn. Please help.....

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Hello to you both, and welcome to the :tcca: Stick around, and enjoy the rest of the site, you'll be addicted in no time - ask just about anyone!

hotwater (funny name by the way!), are your lights dimming, or losing radio presets, or is the car running hot? How is the coolant level in the overflow tank for the radiator? I would wager that it's the water pump with a bad bearing, they'll sound like anything from screeching to a rhythmic "warble". Not hard to replace yourself, but at least an all-day job.

If it is the pump, you'll have to remove your alternator, idler pulley, overflow tanks and all the related hoses and brackets. Make sure you get all the old gasket off when the pump comes off. Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TrueBlue, I got the name hotwater because that's what I stay in. Any way, I thought that it may be the water pump but the car is staying at normal temps and everything that has to do with the other accessories is fine. There is no engine codes from the computer and the car is running great with this one exception. Any other ideas. I don't want to take it to the German Ford dealer because they get really stupid when we bring American cars to them. Thanks by the way.....

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
It's very odd that a newer SES has a water pump problem, unless the mileage is up there. My '93 didn't have this problem until 2002, around 85-90k or so.

Get a long screwdriver, start the car, and stick one end to your ear. You can use this as a stethoscope and determine exactly where the sound is coming from. Check the water pump, alternator, PS and AC, like was outlined above. If none of those seem to be the problem, pull off the belt again and "wiggle" the pullies back and forth, there should be NO play in them.

B

·
0 Posts
Since you're saying it's from the intake area, I'm going to suggest checking for air leaks before the Mass Air Meter, such as the air box, etc. If the leak were after the Mass Air Meter, the car would throw codes for running lean.

Is there any way you can get an audio clip?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did try the screwdriver trick but no luck. As far as an audio clip, I'll see what I can do tomorrow. It's already 8:30 at night here and dark outside. I will also check the air box. Hadn't thought of that. On mine if you look at the intake manifold just below and to the front of the throttle body, that's where it seems like it's coming from. Problem is that I can't pin point it. I'm going nuts here. lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked everything out, definately not an air leak. Looks like I'm gonna have to take it to the dealer and pay the $200 diagnostic fee. :homer:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Yikes. Did you pull the belt and wiggle the pulleys? There's only so much that could squeak like that in the front of the motor.

If it hasn't thrown any codes (CEL's), then a diagnostic will trn up zip.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by hotwater@Sep 13 2004, 01:12 PM
I did try the screwdriver trick but no luck. As far as an audio clip, I'll see what I can do tomorrow. It's already 8:30 at night here and dark outside. I will also check the air box. Hadn't thought of that. On mine if you look at the intake manifold just below and to the front of the throttle body, that's where it seems like it's coming from. Problem is that I can't pin point it. I'm going nuts here. lol
Does your car have a SAP (Secondary Air Pump)? If it does, it will have a tube that goes from the front exhaust manifold to a valve. There's other lines on the valve too. On mine, one line was leaking once, never threw a code, but sounded like yours. Sorry I didn't think of this before!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob Gervais, could you elaborate a little on this maybe with a pic or something. It sounds like you may be on to something here but I'm not quite sure what to look for. As far as the pulleys go Trueblue, I did check them again today. Everything seems to be on the up and up. Thanks again to everyone.....

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by hotwater@Sep 14 2004, 01:48 PM
Bob Gervais, could you elaborate a little on this maybe with a pic or something. It sounds like you may be on to something here but I'm not quite sure what to look for. As far as the pulleys go Trueblue, I did check them again today. Everything seems to be on the up and up. Thanks again to everyone.....
Here's the best pic I have onhand. It doesn't really show everything, but should give you a general idea on where to look. I'll see if I can get exact pics tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, thanks to all once again. I have located the culprit of the noise. However, I have no clue what it is. I am enclosing a picture of it's location but I can't get a clear pic of the part itself. It looks like it is coming directly from the intake manifold located under a wire loom. Please help. I gotta get this thing back on the road.....

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
isn't the water pump mounted right below were you hightligheted? i rember someone saying that they were on the wrong side of the engine.

Aslo do you have the durtec or the vulcan? bc it could be the cam belt queaking.

B

·
0 Posts
The water pump is on the correct sid eon this one. Also, it's a Vulcan. Duratecs use chains for the cams, not belts.

Since it's under that wire loom, you're going to have tomove things around to find what's unde I don't think it's an intake leak, because you'd be throwing codes.

The camshaft position sensor is mounted in that general area as well, and I have heard of squeeking problems with those. Do you have a repair manual for the car? It would be much easier to locate the sensor if you had a diagram of it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Sep 16 2004, 04:30 AM
The camshaft position sensor is mounted in that general area as well, and I have heard of squeeking problems with those. Do you have a repair manual for the car? It would be much easier to locate the sensor if you had a diagram of it.
Well, I moved stuff around a bit but still have no idea what it is. I swear that I feal like and idiot when it comes to newer cars sometimes. Anyway, if anyone has a pic or knows where I can get a pic of the "camshaft position sensor", please let me know or post it here. I think that you have hit the nail on the head with this answer but I can't be sure until I know what I'm looking at. By the way, thanks again for all of your help and patience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts