Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Please help a noobie out here. I have a 1998 bull without the mach system. I bought 4 infinity 6x8's. Installed the back ones about a year ago with no problems. Tonight I finally installed the front ones. I thought everything went great but now there is full sound coming out of my factory tweeters. I did cut off the factory clips then joined the two wires to the speaker. So there are four wires attached to each speaker, two on each terminal. About 99% sure I got the positive and negative right. Sounds fantastic except for the tweeter problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank-you, Potts :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
You need to add a capacitor inline to crossover the tweeters so they are not receiving anything but treble.

Use this formula that i found online:

C1 (µfd) = 1,000,000 / (6.283 x Impedance x Crossover Frequency)

I would probably cross them over at 10000hz

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes you can get cheap caps for less than a couple bucks apiece to do the job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you can get cheap caps for less than a couple bucks apiece to do the job.
[/b]
Thanks you guys!! But I still dont understand why I have to. They worked fine before. All I did was trade one 6x8 for another? The new 6x8 is hooked up exactly the same as the old one was:( Is not the crossover or cap still in the door pannel somewhere? There are some cheap 10 dollar tweeters(new) for sale at the local pawn store. Would theses have caps that I could use do you think? Thanks everyone, sorry for all the questions. I want to thank TCCOA for helping me with my Bull. I never would have dreamed of installing door speakers, or amps, or subs with out this site!! My stereo sounds great (except tweeters) and it's all because of you guys!!! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You need the caps to filter out the lower frequencies. These lower frequencies would shorten the life of the tweeters. The caps are OWKA crossovers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need the caps to filter out the lower frequencies. These lower frequencies would shorten the life of the tweeters. The caps are OWKA crossovers.
[/b]
Ahhh! I see! But what happened to the factory ford caps? I have factory tweeters that worked fine before I changed out the front 6x8s. Is it because the new 6x8's have more watts or something? Could I have mixed up the positive and negative, would this cause the tweeters to emit full sound? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You should have seen the factory filter. IIRC they are right there with the tweeter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should have seen the factory filter. IIRC they are right there with the tweeter.
[/b]
Thank-you. I will take the door pannel off again and check it out. Will the factory filter work with the new speakers? I must have one, it was pure treble coming from the tweeter yesterday. Installed the new speakers and now the tweeter sounds like a tiny speaker:( Should I just buy a new set of tweeters from futureshop or something? I'm also checking the local junk yards for a mach RCU but can't find one. If anyone has please let me know and I will buy it. Thanks for your time patience, It's much appreciated, Potts:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts