Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did try the search funtion for 20 minutes and can not find anything.

Can someone please post a how link for plug/wire replacement on a 3.0L FF Taurus (2000).

thanks again.
Tim

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was looking for a write up from a TCCA member. I just figured there must be one on here somewhere I just cant find it....

·
Registered
42 Posts
i was looking for a write up from a TCCA member. I just figured there must be one on here somewhere I just cant find it....
[/b]
The wiki has one but for a duratec . Should be the same. Have you ever changed th eplugs on car before?

Also you should get a haynes or chiltons manual for you car. Its worth having if you plan to work on your own car .

Ill keep searching for you as well. I see ur in NY I am in NJ I can change them for free of charge if you wanna make the drive to NJ ???

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
The wiki has one but for a duratec . Should be the same. Have you ever changed th eplugs on car before?

Also you should get a haynes or chiltons manual for you car. Its worth having if you plan to work on your own car .

Ill keep searching for you as well. I see ur in NY I am in NJ I can change them for free of charge if you wanna make the drive to NJ ???
[/b][/quote]

vejarmr2,

I appreciate the offer but I am no where near the NYC area. I live in Rochester, which is 6 hours away from NYC. A friend of mine is going to change them this weekend for $40.00

I dont think they have been changed before because every wire has a number still on it (1,2,3,4, exc.) to match up with the plug. Def looks factory, but no Motorcraft writing that I saw. I just picked up the OEM Motorcraft part anyway so they will be installed Sunday.

Is there anything special to be aware of? Do these plugs need to be gapped?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Too bad , wouldve been cool to meet a fellow member. $40.00 sounds fair. Is he a close friend of yours? I personally wouldnt charge my friends anything for a simple job like that .

Let me add something positive to my comment

You could spend $20.00 for the haynes or chiltons manual that will show you how to replace the plugs. Have the satisfaction and knowlwedge of doing it yourself + the chilton/haynes book has a wealth of info that you could continiously use on any other projects. All of this for half the price of what your friend is charging you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

vejarmr2,

I appreciate the offer but I am no where near the NYC area. I live in Rochester, which is 6 hours away from NYC. A friend of mine is going to change them this weekend for $40.00

I dont think they have been changed before because every wire has a number still on it (1,2,3,4, exc.) to match up with the plug. Def looks factory, but no Motorcraft writing that I saw. I just picked up the OEM Motorcraft part anyway so they will be installed Sunday.

[/b][/quote]

The plug gap is on a sticker underneath the hood I think. Some plugs come pregapped some dont. I would plan on gapping them myself.

Will you be using copper or platinum plugs? I personally only use copper !!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

vejarmr2,

[/b][/quote]

The plug gap is on a sticker underneath the hood I think. Some plugs come pregapped some dont. I would plan on gapping them myself.

Will you be using copper or platinum plugs? I personally only use copper !!!
[/b][/quote]

Motorcraft OEM Replacement was Motorcraft Platinum...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You want to use the double platinums. You should gap them anyways since the gap could be smaller from bouncing around during shipping.

There isn't a write-up because replacing spark plugs on a Vulcan is straight-forward. You'll only run into problems on the rear bank because of the manifold. Just reach in from the driver's side and feel your way around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You want to use the double platinums. You should gap them anyways since the gap could be smaller from bouncing around during shipping.

There isn't a write-up because replacing spark plugs on a Vulcan is straight-forward. You'll only run into problems on the rear bank because of the manifold. Just reach in from the driver's side and feel your way around.
[/b]

Double Platinum...why??? Is this a ford taurus thing?? I had a TOYOTA MR2 turbo that ran on champion copper plugs !! I would never use Platinum!! Let me rephrase that I WOULD NEVER USE PLATINUM ON A PERFOMANCE PLATFORM

I believe in the simple fact that Copper is a better conductor.

·
Registered
834 Posts
your right copper is a better conducter...but they won't last very long....or atleast not as long as the plugs in the platinum family...like the plats, double plats, iridium, etc. If you want performance and longevity....go with iridium plugs. I use Autolite XP Iridiums.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Double Platinum...why??? Is this a ford taurus thing?? I had a TOYOTA MR2 turbo that ran on champion copper plugs !! I would never use Platinum!! Let me rephrase that I WOULD NEVER USE PLATINUM ON A PERFOMANCE PLATFORM

I believe in the simple fact that Copper is a better conductor.
[/b][/quote]

One some engines (I forget the years) the spark plug fires from the ground to electrode on one bank while the other bank fires from the electrode to ground. And yes, it lasts longer which is a good thing for the engines other than the Vulcan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts