Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently replaced the EGR valve due to a code coming up for that but the car was running fine before the change, the light was bothering me and it was cheap so I just replaced it. I just got 4 new tires and changed the oil a couple days ago. I was having rough idling and got the codes so I checked under the hood and realized the cover for the air filter wasnt on very tight so i clamped it down and it was running better for a day. Today I go out and drive my kids to school and it starts doing it again. When im driving it runs perfectly fine. When I am at a light it starts idling rough and surging until I start moving again. I get home check again the cover is on tight, all the clamps for the hose connecting to the throttle body are tight. I am super confused on what to do. I have already cleaned the throttle body. I am getting the same p1131 p1151 and p1104 i think is the new one that wasnt coming up before. Saying the car is running lean. Also the light for the gas cap has been on for a while now also, but once again I wasnt having any issues prior to the oil change and EGR valve replacement. I checked the cap several times and it is on there tight. Wondering if that light and the codes together is indicating a possible injector issue. I dont have money to waste currently on sensors and such.

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
What code or codes led you to replace the EGR valve? Ford EGR valves are a VERY rare fail. DPFE and PFE sensors, on the other hand, are a fairly common failure point. Never had to replace an EGR valve on any Ford in 50 years of owning mostly Fords. Had to replace a few EGR valves on several GM cars I have owned and on friends Chryslers.

The 1131/1151 codes tells me you have a LARGE vacuum leak. Be sure you didnt leave any vacuum hoses loose or disconnected.

Reactions: snosaint

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
533 Posts
Did you remove the throttle body to clean it or just spray cleaner down the throat. The backside of the trottle plate is usually very bad by the time you realize it needs cleaning. Once you do a thourgh cleaning, it takes a little while for the computer to stabilize the running of the vehicle.

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
So, what engine and year. Vacuum leaks are from many potential issues. Start with the visible: Look See, listen.
Main reason TB neads cleaning is the PCV is not working right. Replace as scheduled with OE only part.
-chart-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What code or codes led you to replace the EGR valve? Ford EGR valves are a VERY rare fail. DPFE and PFE sensors, on the other hand, are a fairly common failure point. Never had to replace an EGR valve on any Ford in 50 years of owning mostly Fords. Had to replace a few EGR valves on several GM cars I have owned and on friends Chryslers.

The 1131/1151 codes tells me you have a LARGE vacuum leak. Be sure you didnt leave any vacuum hoses loose or disconnected.
I just figured it out. Pretty silly honestly. My new EGR valve didn’t come with a gasket. I was unaware it needed one. I saw the old one had the gasket on it and put that on. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just figured it out. Pretty silly honestly. My new EGR valve didn’t come with a gasket. I was unaware it needed one. I saw the old one had the gasket on it and put that on. Problem solved.
I was getting code P0401 on it. I didn’t have a vacuum hose to check the diaphragm on it and got the part pretty cheap so I went ahead and replaced it and that code is gone. I was getting pretty poor gas mileage and it was pretty sluggish when accelerating prior to replacing it.

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
Model year, engine type, Duratec or Vulcan? P0401 is usually indicative of a failed egr pressure sensor (dpfe).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts