Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tapedeck was recently torn up by thieves who I guess couldnt steal this piece of crap or realizxed it wasnt worth the effort.. Wires were cut at the adapter. I can reattach the hareness to this, but I want to put a new stereo in. My harness to the back of this old tape deck (Ford F8DF-18C858-AC) has a group of wires inside a foilish conduit with a black wire that has a lil extra padding in it and looks like it is kinda meshish in texture up the way. I need to know if this is the common ground for the speaker wires and if it is, what are the speaker wire colors. How would I go about updating this kind of unit.

Ive looked at other p[osts and found the diagrams of the wire colors dont match mins.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Sorry, but that tapedeck is just that, it has a cassette player, a display nad some buttons and the ac controls. The actual stereo brains is in the back of the car. If you have the manual AC controls, you can get an adapter plate that lets you install a standard stereo head unit. You would need to run new speaker wires, as there are no speaker wires there now (they are in the back with the amp) You should also run your own power supply and on trigger, and a good clean ground.

The Taurus and Sables are not straight forward for head unit swaps because they are more complicated with the separate RCU unit and all. I'm sure some guys who have done this before will chime in. Now if you have the auto AC control, your options just became a lot more limited. If you have the Auto AC, you will need to leave the stock unit in place and instead use AUX inputs to handle things like a CD player/changer or an iPod adapter. So basically you would repair the damage, and buy a kit that allows you to use accessories with the otherwise stock system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts