Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I am new here, I cannot find anyone with my issue before I post this so I apologize if someone finds an article of use.

Now that my mustang runs again, I’d hate to see my girlfriend’s really clean 99 Taurus have anything happen to the engine over a silly cooling problem.

I cannot for the life of me figure her problem out. When I bought the car it would stay steady at 1/4 gauge coolant. Now it’ll alternate between 1/4 and 0/4 gauge and the heat will drop out usually when idle but sometimes when in drive. When it comes back, it’s usually when you’re accelerating especially so at a light.

I had an 85 cougar that would drop out temp entirely like this with a bad thermostat so I changed it. No dice.

I tried bleeding the system parking it on a high angle nose up and trying to bleed air out the overfill because there’s no rad cap but it’s not working.

I’m new to these cars but I’m afraid to put money into it before I fix this cooling problem.

its 149k miles strong, minimal rust, really really clean. No rust on strut towers but the floor panels have rotted out but the frame has no rust. The rest of the car outside of the driver and passenger floor pans have no rust.

If anyone can help me through this problem and to get this car running great please let me know.

for the most part it maintains a 800rpm idle, but it’ll bounce. I haven’t had a lot of time with this engine, I’m sure I can figure that out. I’ve been occasionally treating with sea foam which it seems to always idle a little smoother after.

thank you for your time 🙏🏻

·
Registered
74 Posts
Could be a bad coolant temp sensor or bad gauge. To check which, with ignition ON, unplug sensor wire and touch to ground, if gauge moves, the gauge is okay. (there's info on here and on the net about all this). The sensor is cheap and easy to change on the OHV engines. Maybe check that the radiator fans are kicking in as they should.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If this is a Vulcan engine it points to a bad water pump. The impeller rusts away and doesn't pump coolant effectively. Sounds like you may have a bad ECT sensor as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts