Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2003 Taurus, I accidentally broke this cord/tube while replacing my windshield wiper motor. It runs across the back of the engine bay alongside another thicker tube. It is the smaller of the two. It snapped and broke in half, the damage isn't pictured here but I have a picture of the undamaged cord. Does anyone know what it's called and what it does? Is it driveable or does it need repaired ASAP?
I looked through so many sites and the manual and couldn't find info about it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you found a source/destination? From the photo I can't see much but it kinda looks like it's just the wiper fluid tube.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
It's an evap vacuum line that runs from the small black plastic vacuum manifold box mounted on the drivers firewall near the brake master cylinder (port "S") over to the pass. firewall near the green capped evap test port. I'd "sleeve-splice" the break with a piece of snug fitting black rubber vacuum line.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
^ No, the larger line (3/8"?) is the hvac mode/vent vacuum line. It originates from the "A/C" port on the drivers side vacuum box and runs clipped to the windshield cowling along with the smaller evap line. Smaller evap line runs down near the green capped evap test port and the larger hvac line runs to an inline check valve then tees/reduces. The small hvac black line runs through the pass. firewall to a vacuum plug mounted on the heater box inside. The small hvac white/yellow line runs inside the pass. fender to a vacuum reservoir box/ball.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ No, the thicker line (3/8"?) is the hvac mode/vent vacuum line. It originates from the "A/C" port on the drivers side vacuum box and runs clipped to the windshield cowling along with the smaller evap line. Smaller evap lines runs down near the green capped evap test port and the larger hvac line runs to an inline check valve then tees/reduces. The small hvac black line runs through the pass. firewall to a vacuum plug mounted on the heater box inside. The small hvac white/yellow line runs inside the pass. fender to a vacuum reservoir box/ball.
Thank you so much for your help! I'm going to sleeve-splice the break, and hopefully that will keep it functioning

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
To make the splice extra secure, use a small zip tie to secure the splice rubber tube to the hard plastic tube ends.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
491 Posts
It's an evap vacuum line that runs from the small black plastic vacuum manifold box mounted on the drivers firewall near the brake master cylinder (port "S") over to the pass. firewall near the green capped evap test port. I'd "sleeve-splice" the break with a piece of snug fitting black rubber vacuum line.
Or better yet some heat shrink.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my 2003 Taurus, I accidentally broke this cord/tube while replacing my windshield wiper motor. It runs across the back of the engine bay alongside another thicker tube. It is the smaller of the two. It snapped and broke in half, the damage isn't pictured here but I have a picture of the undamaged cord. Does anyone know what it's called and what it does? Is it driveable or does it need repaired ASAP?
I looked through so many sites and the manual and couldn't find info about it.
View attachment 218149
You can buy little tubing connectors at the auto parts places. Plug each end into a splicer gadget.
Should fix it.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
The nylon vacuum tubing gets brittle from the engine heat over the years. I use vacuum hose with same ID as the OD of the nylon tubing to join the break.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts