Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Please bear with me, as I'm pretty dumb when it comes to cars. You guys are my last resort! I suspect that I have a vacuum leak somewhere along the intake line (getting two error codes that indicate a lean condition), so I pulled off the hose that comes out of the air filter housing and found two extremely small pinholes.

I went to order this hose online (called the "outlet tube" on the site that I was ordering from), but I got an email back saying that the part would only fit engines up to 2003. They suggested I purchase the ENTIRE air cleaning assembly for $250, which is ridiculous IMO.

This is the ribbed, accordion shaped hose that runs from the air filter into the engine (not sure what that part of the engine is, I told you I'm pretty dumb).

I don't have the error codes that it has been spitting out, but can post them when I get home from work. I'd REALLY love to avoid taking it to the shop over this.

Symptoms
-Very rough idle at cold start
-Idle is worse in cold weather
-Engine runs smooth at cruising speed
-Definite tach bouncing at idle, tends to lessen as engine warms up

It has died once, during a turn in which i was turning sharply and braking. If I had to guess, the engine ran lean, and the extra RPMs that were lost during the turn killed it. Really freaked me out.

I have never replaced anything in this engine, it's got 58k on it.

Thank you so much in advance guys! :x:

edit: part number 6 on this diagram

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to add, if you think it could be something other than the hose, please say so. I've heard of people solving this issue by replacing the UIM gaskets, PCV/PCV line, and O2 sensor, but I hate to just start throwing money into it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Symptoms are similar to mine.... I shall check my hose :angry:
[/b]
Wow that sounds just like mine as well. I have replaced just about everything else and I checked mine and it seems ok. The hose you need is it the hose from the Mass Air Flow to the Throttle body? If so a junkyard is your best bet and it shouldnt be more than 10 bucks or so. I have a 2005 vulcan. Lets see if anyone else can see what the problem may be since I am having the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
8,428 Posts
If the 2 pinhols are really small, just patch them up with some sensor safe RTV and be done with it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The way to test is to spray starter fluid on suspected areas with the car idling. The engine will stutter if you spray on a vacuum leak.
[/b]
I'll need to get some starting fluid. BullGeek and I sprayed a few places with carb cleaner or something similar and no dice...

·
Registered
47 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
The way to test is to spray starter fluid on suspected areas with the car idling. The engine will stutter if you spray on a vacuum leak.
[/b]
I'll need to get some starting fluid. BullGeek and I sprayed a few places with carb cleaner or something similar and no dice...
[/b][/quote]

I havent replaced either as of yet since both seem to be in excellent shape. I checked them again yesterday, but since the PCV valve is cheap I may go ahead and get it.

junkyarddog.com is a great website. If you cant find it there got to ebaymotors and craigslist to see if anyone is parting out a car simialr to yours.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I havent replaced either as of yet since both seem to be in excellent shape. I checked them again yesterday, but since the PCV valve is cheap I may go ahead and get it.

junkyarddog.com is a great website. If you cant find it there got to ebaymotors and craigslist to see if anyone is parting out a car simialr to yours.
[/b]

When you figure out how to remove that PCV, holla back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thinking it might not be the hose. Tried removing the PCV by hand, but couldn't get it out of the block. I guess the question is, could a bad fuel filter or fuel pump cause a lean code to pop? The more I research fuel filters, the more it's sounding like the issue.

Lean codes suck, this much I know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thinking it might not be the hose. Tried removing the PCV by hand, but couldn't get it out of the block. I guess the question is, could a bad fuel filter or fuel pump cause a lean code to pop? The more I research fuel filters, the more it's sounding like the issue.

Lean codes suck, this much I know.
[/b]
Doubt its the fuel filter. I have the same codes and I just replaced mine.

I am thinking it might be the EGR or the idel air control valve as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only reason I'm thinking it might be fuel related is that I've got a definite whine/whistle coming from the rear half of the undercarriage...which seems to be a symptom of fuel pumps that aren't long for this world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts