Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's a 2008 SEL with 102k miles, and so just like the title says, the hood starts rattling at around 65-68mph, and continues to do so increasingly as the speed goes up to 70, 75... I haven't tried to go faster than that for fear that the thing will fly up in my face. It gets pretty alarming and makes the front end vibrate as the speed goes up.

I said it might be hood OR front end problems, cause I don't want to completely rule anything out yet, however, I noticed this only happens, or at least most alarmingly happens if I'm hitting the wind directly with no cars in front of me, or way far ahead. When I get it in the slip stream behind a large truck or SUV at highway speeds my car drives smooth as butter and the rattle is gone. This has me thinking it's an aerodynamic problem that's affecting the hood. Besides I just had alignment work, balance and rotation done within the past few months and at slightly lower speeds I feel no vibrations at all coming from the suspension or steering of the car.

I've tried troubleshooting several things... the rubber bumpers under the corners of the hood, the hood latch and hinges, tried multiple test runs with those components adjusted forward, backward, up, down, tighter, looser, whatever... still getting the rattle in different configurations.

This is driving me nuts, have no clue what to try next, maybe the weather strip along the front edge of the hood? I'm seriously thinking of just taking the hood off and giving it another test run, see if the rattle is still there or not, to eliminate the possibility that it may be coming from something else. If it persists I MAY just put hood pins in the thing, make sure it never fatigues the latch, breaks open and flies up in my face...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually I managed to figure this one out earlier today. It was the air dam under the car. The back edge of the black plastic air dam under the front end, between the bumper and core support, was disconnected and hanging down. It's supposed to have 3 black plastic push-pin type locks which had fallen out or got jerked out, so I simply replaced the 3 main connectors, tied the thing back up tight into place against the core support and now it drives smooth. For whatever reason that plastic shield thing helps maintain just the perfect amount of air pressure inside the engine compart, and thus keeps the hood from wanting to jump around at high speed.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,074 Posts
Thanks for sharing. There weren't a lot of 2008-2009 cars sold, and we don't have a lot of members on here with them, so additions like this are helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
schweet119,

Thank you for going ahead and posting on the '0ling8 Taurus hood shaking.
I recently purchased an 2008 Taurus SEL run into ditch pretty hard. When getting it home (trailered) I notice the parting lines on hood/fender on driver side is off noticebly , uneven.
After replacing radiator/ coo fan housing assembly & doing some plastic welding on the radiator support cracked in a couple places.,and driving for a few weeks now, there is absolutely no shakes but when meeting cars the hood does rattle pretty bad,as though the rubber bumpers are not set right, but have tried adjusting these slightly.
lt did have the under chassis front apron tore off,,and have it push pinned back on.
Just curious if possibly the Taurus you have was ditched some time back,before you purchased it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually I managed to figure this one out earlier today. It was the air dam under the car. The back edge of the black plastic air dam under the front end, between the bumper and core support, was disconnected and hanging down. It's supposed to have 3 black plastic push-pin type locks which had fallen out or got jerked out, so I simply replaced the 3 main connectors, tied the thing back up tight into place against the core support and now it drives smooth. For whatever reason that plastic shield thing helps maintain just the perfect amount of air pressure inside the engine compart, and thus keeps the hood from wanting to jump around at high speed.
You are a lifesaver! I had the same issue on my 2016 Taurus Limited but had no idea what the problem was. It bothered me for over a year. Took it to two mechanics and nothing, then I stumble on this post and go take a look, realize the plastic air dam was hanging, but i couldn't tell before as their is a lip in front of it to block its view. You saved me a lot of heartache man, thank you!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
489 Posts
I would never thought to check the air dam for a shaking hood, thanks for the post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts