Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2002 Taurus SE Wagon with a duratec. It has 72,000 miles and runs very well and very quite. Today while driving on the highway my oil pressure light started flickering. I pulled over immediately and checked the oil that I just changed. Oil level was perfect. Is this something serious like an oil pump failing or something less serious like an oil pressure switch?? Can someone PLEASE help me to locate this switch and maybe a part number than I can use at the auto parts store. Thank soooo much for your guys' insight...

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Sender is right above the oil filter on my 99 tec. Might want to remove the sender and install a pressure gauge in its place to see whats going on. Could be sender, pump, bearings, etc. On my 99 tec, i removed oil filter, oil dipstick and dipstick tube to access the oil pressure switch (oil sender). Ive got an oil pressure switch socket, but iirc, i used channel-locks or vise-grips due to space constraints. They usually leak (seep) where the black plastic bake-lite is joined to the metal. Ford senders have done this for decades. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sheila! I'll try that tonight. I would be so heart broken if it wasn't the sender, and with just over 70k you would think that's more likely. BTW, is there any special tool needed to remove the sender, and anyone got a replacement part #.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
Duratec pump is driven directly off the front of the crank, as most modern engines designed from the ground up for no distributor. I personally have never heard of a Tec oil pump failing. My guess is a failed pressure sensor. SOmewhat common problem.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Autozone: Duralast oil pressure switch #ps409. $14.99. lifetime warr. Oreilly: Bwd#s4221. $16.99. lifetime warr. Personally, i would go with the borg-warner from oreilly. Advance auto is showing a bwd#s4224 for $15.69 and the bwd#s4221 for $18.89? Im guessing the #s4221 is bwds better premium sender? Both have lifetime warr., also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You people ROCK! Thanks a million. I'll pick up a Borg Warner sensor at O'Reilly on the way home from work. I'll report back and let you know if this remedies the problem...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Durawagon,
Kind of unusual for the oil light to flicker at highway speeds , usually happens when at idle. If when you disconnect the plug from the sensor there are oil drips in the connector than the sensor is probably bad. Good luck changing the sensor it is a real b%^$&* to change. If it still does it you will have to pull the sensor and install a pressure guage to see what is going on, again very hard to do. Also make sure you use a Motorcraft filter.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
^^^^^ Thats what leads me to believe it is s sender issue and not a actual pressure issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little update...

So this is only like my 3rd day owning this car. Come to find out the dealership had WAY WAY WAY too much oil in it. Like the dipstick had double the amount if not more on it. Could too much oil/too much oil pressure cause the unit to freak out? I also bought the sensor, started the oil change, removed the oil filter and realized, damn...this bad boy is almost impossible to get to. Long story short, I put some Motorcraft oil in with a Mobil 1 filter, come to find out it sounds like I should have used a Motorcraft filter as well. Now the light won't come on? I'm so confused...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your first post said the oil level was perfect. Now you say way over full. If if was way over the oil can be whipped up into a foamy consistancy full of air that may actually lower oil pressure. If that is the case and you caught it soon you may be okay . Again it is recommended to use Motorcraft oil filters. Good luck.

Ed

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Motorcraft Filter

Your first post said the oil level was perfect. Now you say way over full. If if was way over the oil can be whipped up into a foamy consistancy full of air that may actually lower oil pressure. If that is the case and you caught it soon you may be okay . Again it is recommended to use Motorcraft oil filters. Good luck.

Ed
I agree with that filter. They use a silicone check valve to keep the oil from running back into the pan, as opposed to most others using black rubber. My experience with Fram is after they get some age, the oil pressure is a bit slow to come up as I can hear when it gets up. With the Motorcraft I have not had that. With all these cars using oil pressure tensioned timing chains, no oil pr makes noise in the chain. That is not a bad thing.

-chart-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts