Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody my brother has a 92 ford taurus that blew a transmission. i found a 95 with a complete motor 3.0 and transmission that was just rebuilt. the shock towers in the front busted and he is looking to get rid of it for 400 bucks. would the motor and trans swap from the 95 to the 92? and how big of a job will it be? wiring harness swap too?

thank you for your input

-dave

·
Registered
670 Posts
1992-1995 was the years for production on the second gen models, so they are both second gen.

Are they both vulcan engines? Sounds like it could be a possibility if all the hardware is the same

If the 95 is OBD 2 you might have not be able to do it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are both vulcan engines.
i didn't think about them changing to ob2. that's a good thing to check .

even if it was couldn't i swap the full harness? it would be alot of work i know.
also my brother was talking to a mechanic about this. and the mechanic said you had to drop part of the subframe? it doesn't sound right to me but i don't work on them that much

any input?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I would drop both subframes onto dollies and just swap the whole thing over. I would definitely swap the engine control computers as well since the '92 probably has an AXOD-E and the '95 probably has the AX4S transmission. (Different shift behavior, other fun stuff.)

The odds of it being OBD-II is very low since only about 300 total are rumored to have received the modification at the factory. Still a good idea to check though... Yeah, I would swap the entire harness over just to have OBD-II even if it wasn't to replace an engine and transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my brother called the ford dealership and gave them his vin on his 92 and they told him he has the axod not the axod-e

looking at it there is an electrical connector that comes down to the top of the transmission

the axod-e has the electronic kickdown right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update guys:

we picked up the car today. the problem with it is it has a broken shock tower. the piece going into the fender is busted.
my brother thinks the parts car has the axod-e. which i'll have to check in the morning to be sure. drop the subframe? can i pull the motor and trans together? i have the hood off. i normally work on trucks guys so this is all new to me. also the parts car has R134a AC and ABS . most likely RWAL

can this stuff be swapped over to his 92 that has R12 AC and standard brakes? the ac seems simple enough just compressor and condenser right? the abs might be more trickey

any input is appreciated. anyone know of a tech article that gives step by step on how to pull the 3.0L or can someone walk me through the basics?

thank you

-dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tonight we pulled enough stuff out of the way to identify both transmission. they look identical and say axod on the side of them

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
You can swap everything over, but you need to make sure all of the wiring harnesses move over too. I don't know about the ABS though, it might be too much work and I like regular brakes anyways.

ABS was invented for people who don't adapt their driving to the conditions and frequently do panic braking. I've actually found that I can stop easier on ice with my normal brakes in the Taurus than in my Outback with ABS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can swap everything over, but you need to make sure all of the wiring harnesses move over too. I don't know about the ABS though, it might be too much work and I like regular brakes anyways.

ABS was invented for people who don't adapt their driving to the conditions and frequently do panic braking. I've actually found that I can stop easier on ice with my normal brakes in the Taurus than in my Outback with ABS.
i agree with you. i always liked good old normal brakes. just something fancy the other car has that his doesn't.

we thought about switching the shock towers. but the parts car is really rusted bad. i might take some pics of it tomorrow. anyone know how many bolts are holding that subframe?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
There are only four subframe bolts, and you might want to get two recall kits so that you can replace the crappy stock nut plates. (Then you don't have to worry about breaking the bolts since you will have replacements.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts